Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Geordi

Post by Geordi »

Mungo wrote: Quote: There's some stuff about cider Paul here with some pictures:http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk/for ... 31ab23bfcf That's 'im! woo!Thanks We used to call him Ladybird man, due to that god damm awfull red furry coat with the black spots on!That one you call the monk, he is an ex Salvation Army officer who had a complete nervous breakdown.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Does any one remember/know queer Barry (i'm not being nasty, it's what everyone called him, and he answered to it). He was around when my Mum was young and when I worked In William Hills he used to come in there. He sometimes used to pretend to walk a dog at the end of an empty lead. Lovely guy, came across as very camp, but God help anyone who took the mick, he was a real tough nut

Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi, I do remember seeing a fella many years ago walking a dog and thinking something's not right, then realizing he had no dog on the end of his lead! Could be the same man.Can't remember where I saw him, may be Harehills.Does anyone remember a fella, who lived on Dewsbury Road, that dressed in bargee clothes? Don't think he ever had a barge. I knew him through amateur radio, his first name was Tom, but I have forgotten his callsign. He has long since gone silent key.
Go the Rhinos.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

Magic Alan is still around - I once saw him when he worked at the Elbow Room - The meanies had sat him on a table outside the door with a little piece of lined paper stuck to it reading "free magician" - I felt rather sorry for him...

LS13

Post by LS13 »

I've got a couple--Big black guy, used to play on the giant chess board outside the Art Gallery in the 80s. Used to be bare foot all year, and for most of the year bare chested too. Sometimes used to see him walking from town up towards Scott Hall/Chapeltown.Also, a more recent one--Stud man. Middle aged bloke who's head is just full of piercings. I spoke to him in The Angel Pub and he told me he's got 300 piercings in his face. Put me right off my pork scratchings. He was actaully a nice bloke and let me take a picture of him on my phone. I'll put it up if someone can tell me how ...!?

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Anyone know steady steve from the duck and drake? got a stall in leeds market by all accounts. tells folk he is visiting from another planet!!!!
Love a Landrover

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

LS13 wrote: Also, a more recent one--Stud man. Middle aged bloke who's head is just full of piercings. I spoke to him in The Angel Pub and he told me he's got 300 piercings in his face. Put me right off my pork scratchings. He was actaully a nice bloke and let me take a picture of him on my phone. I'll put it up if someone can tell me how ...!? Used to see him regularly in the bus station about 8:40 in the morning.Instrucyions on how to upload pictures are here http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... readID=137 although being from you phone may well complicate matters. You will also have to persevere as very few of us who have uploaded pics got it right first time
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

LS13 - I have a programme that should be able to decode your phone pic to a JPG. I'd ask you to email the pic to me and I can host it to post, but I don't want to put my email addy on a public forum. Most forums have "private message" options...eh Admin?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

A couple more...There was a fellow used to hang around the markets about ten years ago. He used to talk into his jacket, as it were a radio, and pretend he was chasing giro theives and that his helicopter was coming for him... How very odd!!!Also a skinhead fellow I used to see on Albion Street - friendly chap - always had a pet rat on his shoulder! x

simmo

Post by simmo »

Any older Woodhousers remember the little old lady who lived in the Clayfields off Oxford road in the 50s early 60s. She was well know for approaching people and asking if they had been stealing door keys. Regardless of the reply she would produce 1/2 a brick she was holding behind her back and lob it at whoever she thought the offender was. We nicknamed her Bluebottle (from the Goons) and did a quick exit when she approached.