Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Saw Geoffrey Brindley. a.k.a. the "Mad Monk" in Bradford crossing the Shipley-Airedale Road at its junction with Church Bank a couple of Sundays ago, 23rd February 2014. I was first in the traffic line at a red light as he crossed, so I got a good look at him. Like a lot of us, he's getting older, and it's showing. Not smiling this time, altho' in fairness the temperature was close to freezing. I hadn't seen him in a long time, and there were rumours in Bradford that he'd died. Or maybe I've seen a ghost?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I havent seen Geoffrey the monk for a couple of years now, he used to regularly be seen walking along the ring road in north west Leeds. Some chaps set up a facebook page for him a while ago but I think its been removed now. Another character I used to see around Headingley / Kirkstall was this Welsh fella caled 'Le Bonte' or something like that sounding, he was quite a friendly guy, always living on the streets, last I knew of him he was squatting in the old Harley Davidson garage at the junction of Canal Road / Kirkstall Road. I used to drink in the Pig and Whistle with Rat back in the early 90's.Also does anyone remember Noddy Hogg? He wasnt homeless, more of a new age traveller type, when they used to have all the hippy type market stalls down the Dark Arches on a Sunday in the 1990s. Noddy had a stall selling amongst other things windchimes made from old knives / forks and spoons and really nice pendants and rings made from cleverly crafted old copper coins. I once got contacted by someone from The Levellers as I'd mentioned Noddy's name on another internet forum and they wanted to know if I had any contact details for him as he used to do the 'official' Levellers jewellery.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I haven't seen Geoffrey in a while either but according to the site set up in his honour he was still around up to at least 9th of March:http://bradfordjesusman.co.uk/recent

Bugblatter

Post by Bugblatter »

LS1 wrote: Steve Jones wrote: anybody else seen the guy who wears a South American hat?he used to try to sell The Big Issue outside HMV.I think they moved him on because his latest ploy seems to be to emerge from behind one of the statues in City Square playing a wooden flute incredibly badly like some sort of demented Pied Piper!he has crept out quite a lot lately as I crossed the square around 7:30-6:00 on my way to work.Does he appear to anyone else or does he just think i look like a mug<LOL>? That'll be Rat. Good chap, always very friendly if you can take the odd approach. I walk past him every day going to and from work. He often announces that he is playing a selection of music "from the Catalan region" or "restful numbers for the stresed commuters"! In actual fact it is all tuneless tootling. He seems to migrate up and down Park Row. He can be unpleasant to people who make faces etc. though.
Leeds born and bred

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

BarFly wrote: I haven't seen Geoffrey in a while either but according to the site set up in his honour he was still around up to at least 9th of March:http://bradfordjesusman.co.uk/recent Oh dear! Thats new to me Barfly, I didnt realise the guy had a dedicated website along with artwork etc and the ability to log sightings! It seems there was a new sighting somebody else registered on the 13th of March. Its surprising that so many people have memories of this chap and that they are ready to post on the internet about them. I guess it goes to show these local characters do represent a collective memory which in this particular characters case seems to span quite a few decades. This has become a common reference point which transcends generations and localities as the comments left by people on the website are testament to. I suppose with the disappearance of the church / christianity largely in the UK the prescence of this quasi-religious figure, with his anachronistic appearance, touches such a nerve or memory in peoples consciousness that they feel compelled to share their experiences. Although for many I suspect the guy is maybe seen merely as a figure of fun rather than having any more profound spiritual meaning. Blah blah ramble ramble blah...
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

ivanloxley

Re: Local Characters

Post by ivanloxley »

I am the grandson of David Noble who is now dead - died in 2000 of MRSA - I would love to know why he was called black sam and any other information

Minda

Re:

Post by Minda »

jonleeds wrote:... Also a guy who knocks around pubs around Hyde Park called 'Span' aka Spandau Ballet as he claims he resembles Tony Hadley. Be warned however as he is a bit of a nuisance!
This made me laugh out loud! This guy was a "friend" of my flatmate back in the early 90s and we used to dread him coming round. He never ever stopped talking. and I mean never. You could not get the man to end a sentence. It was painful. He once came into my bedroom when I was asleep, plonked himself on a beanbag by my bed next to my pet dog and started talking at me despite the fact I was in bed with the lights off. I just ignored him and eventually he went away. Even the dog looked bored. I remember he had a big scar on his neck and he told us his old flatmate had cut his throat with a spatula (or some unlikely kitchen implement anyway) when he was talking too much. I remember he said "I thought it was a bit much just because I wouldn't stop talking" and we all burst out into uncontrollable laughter because the more time you spent with him the more you could completely sympathise with someone getting that desperate to shut him up.

Minda

Post by Minda »

Also regarding cider Paul... I had a friend who helped him with his bootleg cassette business and he once took me to Paul's house in beeston. I can only describe it as a hoarders house. Rubbish piled on all the furniture and complete filth everywhere.

jma

Post by jma »

Geoffrey Brindley - referred to above as the Bradford Jesusman died in August 2015

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... l_at_home/

Minda

Post by Minda »

Does anyone have any information about another character I used to see a lot in the 90s? She was a short, roundish lady with a huge beehive hairdo who always had a fur coat on. I think she had a bag stall in the market. I used to see her there and on the number 2 bus into town from Moortown. She always smelt a bit stale but masked it with a lot of very strong perfume. The beehive was something else. I sat behind her on the bus once and got a close look. It was all woven over a metal frame on top of her head and was absolutely massive. It must have added a foot onto her height. I'd love to know what her story was. I always wondered.