Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
uncle mick

Re: Local Characters

Post by uncle mick »

Minda wrote:Does anyone have any information about another character I used to see a lot in the 90s? She was a short, roundish lady with a huge beehive hairdo who always had a fur coat on. I think she had a bag stall in the market. I used to see her there and on the number 2 bus into town from Moortown. She always smelt a bit stale but masked it with a lot of very strong perfume. The beehive was something else. I sat behind her on the bus once and got a close look. It was all woven over a metal frame on top of her head and was absolutely massive. It must have added a foot onto her height. I'd love to know what her story was. I always wondered.
Have a look here Minda http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/arti ... ture.shtml

Minda

Post by Minda »

Brilliant. Thanks. And her name is barnett! That's perfect.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Minda wrote:Brilliant. Thanks. And her name is barnett! That's perfect.

That name is more than perfect for a lady with a Beehive hair Do as "Barnett " is rhyming slang for Hair

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Still going strong.... without the beehive though!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Barnet fair / hair

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

LS1 wrote:Still going strong.... without the beehive though!

Though maybe she still a Wasp waist.................. Oops Sorry

Topher

Post by Topher »

Does anyone remember this character, never had any credit on his phone, always begging to use your phone to call a taxi on a night out. Wrapped in blanket. Sly eyes Circa 2008

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

In the city centre in the 60's and early 70's I would often see guys with sandwich boards with messages such as " repent the end is nigh!". The pavement near the church on Boar Lane was a favourite haunt. My friends and I would laugh at them and their miserable doom laden messages. They always looked as miserable as sin. What motivated them? were they paid to do that job?
After recent events , and being older and wiser, I'll say sorry guys you may have been right after all!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

Chrism wrote:
Sat 07 Apr, 2012 5:41 pm
stevief wrote: carrotol wrote: Does any one remember/know queer Barry (i'm not being nasty, it's what everyone called him, and he answered to it). He was around when my Mum was young and when I worked In William Hills he used to come in there. He sometimes used to pretend to walk a dog at the end of an empty lead. Lovely guy, came across as very camp, but God help anyone who took the [edited for content], he was a real tough nut Would that be Barry Womack(?)? He used to frequent various pubs on Tong Road.I heard a storyconcerning his fighting reputation.Apparently he fought and beat John Manuel,who used to be one of the hard men of Leeds.(This is proberbly third-hand info.and will be instantly be retracted if challenged!) I remember that, it was a lucky punch from Barry that put JM on his back. Barry was hard but JM was the harder of the 2. I think the argument was over Barry's political views at the time. JM was a good laugh if you got to know him. Anyone know if he's still around? He lived in the top Cedars, with his mum!!!

Barry (the badge ) Womack used to frequent the Beech and the Crown on Tong Road, he used to wear lots of Badges, mainly Leeds United and used to sell quite a few of different relating to Pop Groups of the day. he was quite amusing the way he came across as "Queer" never knew if he really was but has for him fighting and beating John Manuel i would think that was very unlikely. John was extremely tough and although quite an easy going lad, once he had a few pints down him the tap room in the Beech some people would have to be very wary as he could turn very quickly (He certainly was a hard case)

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

carrotol wrote:
Thu 16 Aug, 2007 10:41 pm
And. Does anyone remember Fat Pete/ Pete the badge?

Peter used to spend his time in the Beech Tong Road when he was not at Elland Road selling Leeds United scarves and badges, he was very over weight but would rear up if he heard anyone refer to him as "Fat Peter" He also had a stall in Wakefield Market.