Celebtrate Leeds 2007

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Having read in the Evening post last night about the celebratory bash to be held at the Civic hall in September for the 800th anniversary of Leeds been a city. I was interested to read that the invites were for people who collected historical facts, recorded history & had collections of photographs to document this. It was also for people who did archeological digs & tried to preserve the old heritage of Leeds. Since the Leeds Gentlemans exploration society have a vast amount of knowledge & were the original leaders in this field i'm sure my intrepid co explorer Rikj & myself would be able to pencil a date into our ever increasing hectic diary. What a good way to unveil our smart new blazers complete with crest & motto for the dignateries of Leeds. I'm sure we could produce a fantastic presentation of our work & also be able to advise the heritage department of what they really should be doing. I'll l(.)(.)k forward to recieving the invites! :-)
Attachments
__TFMF_fj3ncp554svoadq52wql4045_71a9cac8-736d-4a0b-a2cc-ef3f488446d2_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_fj3ncp554svoadq52wql4045_71a9cac8-736d-4a0b-a2cc-ef3f488446d2_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

This is being organised by the Civic Trust, I believe. The press coverage of it came as a bit of a suprise to me! It's not the official 'birthday party', but obviously part of the programme of events happening around Leeds' special day, which falls 'on the morrow of Saint Martin'.I'll find out how one goes about getting an invite (if it is possible at all!) and let you know. Otherwise, for details of all other Celebrate Leeds events you can click on the link to the website up & to the left of this screen!Happy Birthday Leeds!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks munki. I somehow think the L.G.E.S will have been left off the invite list... However i do hope the invites go to the right people who are 'WHAT YOU KNOWS' and are actively engaged & have a genuine pursuit in archiving Leeds rich history in either words, photos or publications & not the 'WHO YOU KNOWS' just there for a grub & booze fest with the boys. That way we might be able to get our city at the top of the league for initiative & interestingness! I hope that doesn't sound too cynical :-0
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/