De - Lacey

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Does anyone know anything about the De Lacey,s just off Morris Lane ,i was told that they were a family?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There's a lot of information about the de Lacy family on Wikipedia.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilbert_de_ ... C_Lascy.29

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Geordie-exile wrote: There's a lot of information about the de Lacy family on Wikipedia.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilbert_de_ ... C_Lascy.29 thank you Geordie-exile

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The school I went to had "houses". The one i was in was named after DeLacy . Apart from knowing he was a Norman knight i didn't know anything else about him until I found this some 45 years later!1086: William the Conqueror gave 150 manors, including Leeds, to one of his most loyal supporters, Ilbert de Lacy. For the next 250 years, Ilbert de Lacy and his descendants ruled over some 500 square miles of Yorkshire from Pontefract Castle. Ilbert's grandson, Henry, was responsible for perhaps the single most important event in the growth of Leeds during medieval times. Henry de Lacy had become benefactor to the Cistercian monks at Fountains Abbey, and he had promised them land for the building of a "daughter" abbey to Fountains. But the site, at Barnoldswick, near Skipton, was on high ground and not the riverside location the monks preferred. Henry's second choice was a wooded valley beside the River Aire three miles north west of Leeds village. Kirkstall Abbey was a Cistercian foundation and like Rievaulx and Fountains became the major land owner in its area developing industries like iron forging but more importantly wool making. Kirkstall Abbey abbey owned around five thousand sheep.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

blackprince wrote: The school I went to had "houses". The one i was in was named after DeLacy . Apart from knowing he was a Norman knight i didn't know anything else about him until I found this some 45 years later!1086: William the Conqueror gave 150 manors, including Leeds, to one of his most loyal supporters, Ilbert de Lacy. For the next 250 years, Ilbert de Lacy and his descendants ruled over some 500 square miles of Yorkshire from Pontefract Castle. Ilbert's grandson, Henry, was responsible for perhaps the single most important event in the growth of Leeds during medieval times. Henry de Lacy had become benefactor to the Cistercian monks at Fountains Abbey, and he had promised them land for the building of a "daughter" abbey to Fountains. But the site, at Barnoldswick, near Skipton, was on high ground and not the riverside location the monks preferred. Henry's second choice was a wooded valley beside the River Aire three miles north west of Leeds village. Kirkstall Abbey was a Cistercian foundation and like Rievaulx and Fountains became the major land owner in its area developing industries like iron forging but more importantly wool making. Kirkstall Abbey abbey owned around five thousand sheep. I would like to say that was very interesting and so are you thank you Black Prince

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Black Prince,You must have gone to West Leeds Boys H S.Oastler rules OK!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

blackprince wrote: The school I went to had "houses". The one i was in was named after DeLacy . Apart from knowing he was a Norman knight i didn't know anything else about him until I found this some 45 years later!1086: William the Conqueror gave 150 manors, including Leeds, to one of his most loyal supporters, Ilbert de Lacy. For the next 250 years, Ilbert de Lacy and his descendants ruled over some 500 square miles of Yorkshire from Pontefract Castle. Ilbert's grandson, Henry, was responsible for perhaps the single most important event in the growth of Leeds during medieval times. Henry de Lacy had become benefactor to the Cistercian monks at Fountains Abbey, and he had promised them land for the building of a "daughter" abbey to Fountains. But the site, at Barnoldswick, near Skipton, was on high ground and not the riverside location the monks preferred. Henry's second choice was a wooded valley beside the River Aire three miles north west of Leeds village. Kirkstall Abbey was a Cistercian foundation and like Rievaulx and Fountains became the major land owner in its area developing industries like iron forging but more importantly wool making. Kirkstall Abbey abbey owned around five thousand sheep. And of course was once owner of Temple Newsam within his vast lands estate.

jim

Post by jim »

pashy2 wrote: Black Prince,You must have gone to West Leeds Boys H S.Oastler rules OK! One more vote for De Lacy!The small shunting engines at Kirkstall Forge were named "Henry de Lacy" I, II, and III. II is preserved at the Middleton Railway's Engine House museum.

kango

Post by kango »

jim wrote: pashy2 wrote: Black Prince,You must have gone to West Leeds Boys H S.Oastler rules OK! One more vote for De Lacy!The small shunting engines at Kirkstall Forge were named "Henry de Lacy" I, II, and III. II is preserved at the Middleton Railway's Engine House museum. Not the best of pictures but should bring back some memories Jim. Given to Me by My late school teacher Mrs D.H whom I'm sure You remember.
Attachments
__TFMF_vsermy55cnk4qy55ztwnunfr_b0f177a8-c44c-482a-b9d5-02b3f5727819_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vsermy55cnk4qy55ztwnunfr_b0f177a8-c44c-482a-b9d5-02b3f5727819_0_main.jpg (334.67 KiB) Viewed 4336 times

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks Kango.