David Oluwale (1)

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jma

Re: David Oluwale (1)

Post by jma »

I completely agree and I admire the detail of your notes. This is so much easier in these digital days but it's still important. Not of any public historical interest but I have loads of old pictures inherited from my mother and my mother-in-law and many of them are meaningless even when they have notes on the back.

I think of all the pictures on Leodis of long-gone terraced streets, taken by the Swiss (?) chap whose name I've forgotten. A wonderful record of how things were, but the location of some remains a mystery.

Please, keep it up!

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jma wrote:
Sun 30 Jan, 2022 3:51 pm
I completely agree and I admire the detail of your notes. This is so much easier in these digital days but it's still important. Not of any public historical interest but I have loads of old pictures inherited from my mother and my mother-in-law and many of them are meaningless even when they have notes on the back.

I think of all the pictures on Leodis of long-gone terraced streets, taken by the Swiss (?) chap whose name I've forgotten. A wonderful record of how things were, but the location of some remains a mystery.

Please, keep it up!
I believe the chap in question is Eric Jaquier who I have compared Leo to in the past with the exception that Leo's work is much more biographical.
An excellent photographer it has to be said but absolutely no information given re the subject matter, hence the "Can you help?" section of Leodis being filled with his work. As a photographer he is as I have said most excellent but a documenter of Leeds or any other city's local life?

Plus he took relatively few pictures over only a two year span, our Leo on the other hand has been at it a damn sight longer. :lol:

jma

Post by jma »

Yes. That's the one. I was just too lazy to look him up. The name I had floating in the back of my head was Eric Bouvier, but it makes little difference. One thing I find with archives generally is that you are limited to what there is, rather than what you wish had been taken. That means the more the better, so long as you can find what you want. My comparison with EJ wasn't intended as any criticism of Leodian ; on the contrary, I was trying to highlight the value of the comprehensive notes. And a word of praise for leodis too, for gradually getting so much material online. As a resident of LS27 the David Atkinson Archive going online has been very interesting. Again, modern digital images will be easier in this respect, unless they are only shared on social media then deleted.

Anyway, I hope Leodian isn't blushing too much but keep it up, please.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your kind words which are much appreciated and a bit :oops:. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Saw on the news a foot bridge over the river is going to be built in Leeds in memory of David Oluwale

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In honour to David Oluwale a floral sculpture titled 'Hibiscus Rising' was unveiled today (November 24 2023) off Meadow Lane near where he died in the River Aire on April 18 1969. The sculpture is reported to be 31ft (9.5m) tall. These are 2 photos (reduced in size and quality) that I took today a short while after the unveiling took place.
DavidOluwaleMemorialSculptureNov242023(1)..jpg
DavidOluwaleMemorialSculptureNov242023(1)..jpg (165.99 KiB) Viewed 26370 times
DavidOluwaleMemorialSculptureNov242023(2)..jpg
DavidOluwaleMemorialSculptureNov242023(2)..jpg (163.82 KiB) Viewed 26370 times

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian thank you for putting these photos on , there was a news item about this a few days ago on either Look North or Calendar ( forget which one) the colours are stunning

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2023 5:49 pm
Hi Leodian thank you for putting these photos on , there was a news item about this a few days ago on either Look North or Calendar ( forget which one) the colours are stunning
Hi Jann :). Thanks for that. While I was there a drone was being used but its operator said he was having problems controlling it in the strong wind.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian, think it was Friday 24th Nov when I saw the news item about this sculpture on tv , as for the drone a lot of them seem to look too flimsy for use in bad weather conditions, looking forward to your next posting thank you !