X Clothes Leeds. My New Romantic shame

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
franco

Post by franco »

Mods,Rockers,Goths and Ravers. You've had em all on this site. Nevertheless up till now no one has owned up to being a follower of the most derided,maligned and dismissed youth cult of all..The New Romantic. Well my friends it's time to share my shame.Circa 1980 festooned in my most flamboyant "Blitz kid" apparel i would bravely mince through the dark brooding streets of Leeds and make my weekly pilgrimage to that sartorial shrine of the alternative, X Clothes on Call lane.The howls of mocking laughter and frequent hissed threats of death from a large majority of the good people of Leeds made for a slightly uneasy accompanying soundtrack as i fluttered butterfly like through the city centre. How could they understand? i was different, i was an individual. A futurist Dandy.Different i certainly was. Purple suede Tukka boots,22 pleat Arabian style Bowie bag trousers. Silk Confederate shirt with ruffled collar and scarlet sash. All topped off with with a bohemian wide brimmed "I'd rather not say what's in the saddle bag,it's personal"white felt fedora hat.All this and yet what for? A cursory contempt filled glance from the exotic yet chillingly surly X Clothes staff. 45 minutes staring longingly at a pair of patent leather, Cuban heeled winkle pickers that i could never afford. Memories eh? I used to look like Steve Strange. Nowadays i look like Ted Moult with rickets.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

franco wrote: Mods,Rockers,Goths and Ravers. You've had em all on this site. Nevertheless up till now no one has owned up to being a follower of the most derided,maligned and dismissed youth cult of all..The New Romantic. Well my friends it's time to share my shame.Circa 1980 festooned in my most flamboyant "Blitz kid" apparel i would bravely mince through the dark brooding streets of Leeds and make my weekly pilgrimage to that sartorial shrine of the alternative, X Clothes on Call lane.The howls of mocking laughter and frequent hissed threats of death from a large majority of the good people of Leeds made for a slightly uneasy accompanying soundtrack as i fluttered butterfly like through the city centre. How could they understand? i was different, i was an individual. A futurist Dandy.Different i certainly was. Purple suede Tukka boots,22 pleat Arabian style Bowie bag trousers. Silk Confederate shirt with ruffled collar and scarlet sash. All topped off with with a bohemian wide brimmed "I'd rather not say what's in the saddle bag,it's personal"white felt fedora hat.All this and yet what for? A cursory contempt filled glance from the exotic yet chillingly surly X Clothes staff. 45 minutes staring longingly at a pair of patent leather, Cuban heeled winkle pickers that i could never afford. Memories eh? I used to look like Steve Strange. Nowadays i look like Ted Moult with rickets. Confession is good for the soul.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I got a pair of pointy toed, buckled strap boots with zips up the backs from there. Wore them to death, re-heeled them a couple times, jingle jangled like santa's sleigh.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: I got a pair of pointy toed, buckled strap boots with zips up the backs from there. Wore them to death, re-heeled them a couple times, jingle jangled like santa's sleigh. Didn't they first set-up in the arcade which names has chosen to elude me at this moment, parallel to the County Arcade, named after the theatre which previously stood there. Carlo & Jeffery were opposite I think. Help!

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I used to look at the NME adverts for Bowie Style pleated trousers, Im sure they had more pleats everytime I looked!X Clothes was a great shop, got loads of unsuitable clobber in there !

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Empire!!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

franco wrote: Mods,Rockers,Goths and Ravers. You've had em all on this site. Nevertheless up till now no one has owned up to being a follower of the most derided,maligned and dismissed youth cult of all..The New Romantic. Well my friends it's time to share my shame.Circa 1980 festooned in my most flamboyant "Blitz kid" apparel i would bravely mince through the dark brooding streets of Leeds and make my weekly pilgrimage to that sartorial shrine of the alternative, X Clothes on Call lane.The howls of mocking laughter and frequent hissed threats of death from a large majority of the good people of Leeds made for a slightly uneasy accompanying soundtrack as i fluttered butterfly like through the city centre. How could they understand? i was different, i was an individual. A futurist Dandy.Different i certainly was. Purple suede Tukka boots,22 pleat Arabian style Bowie bag trousers. Silk Confederate shirt with ruffled collar and scarlet sash. All topped off with with a bohemian wide brimmed "I'd rather not say what's in the saddle bag,it's personal"white felt fedora hat.All this and yet what for? A cursory contempt filled glance from the exotic yet chillingly surly X Clothes staff. 45 minutes staring longingly at a pair of patent leather, Cuban heeled winkle pickers that i could never afford. Memories eh? I used to look like Steve Strange. Nowadays i look like Ted Moult with rickets. How you doin' ?

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Geordie-exile wrote: franco wrote: Mods,Rockers,Goths and Ravers. You've had em all on this site. Nevertheless up till now no one has owned up to being a follower of the most derided,maligned and dismissed youth cult of all..The New Romantic. Well my friends it's time to share my shame.Circa 1980 festooned in my most flamboyant "Blitz kid" apparel i would bravely mince through the dark brooding streets of Leeds and make my weekly pilgrimage to that sartorial shrine of the alternative, X Clothes on Call lane.The howls of mocking laughter and frequent hissed threats of death from a large majority of the good people of Leeds made for a slightly uneasy accompanying soundtrack as i fluttered butterfly like through the city centre. How could they understand? i was different, i was an individual. A futurist Dandy.Different i certainly was. Purple suede Tukka boots,22 pleat Arabian style Bowie bag trousers. Silk Confederate shirt with ruffled collar and scarlet sash. All topped off with with a bohemian wide brimmed "I'd rather not say what's in the saddle bag,it's personal"white felt fedora hat.All this and yet what for? A cursory contempt filled glance from the exotic yet chillingly surly X Clothes staff. 45 minutes staring longingly at a pair of patent leather, Cuban heeled winkle pickers that i could never afford. Memories eh? I used to look like Steve Strange. Nowadays i look like Ted Moult with rickets. How you doin' ? NOT VERY OFTEN!!!Could've been the Grand arcade but yes,Empire fits the bill(or was it George?)

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'twas Empire

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Yes,I remember 'X-Clothes' being there too. franco wrote: Circa 1980 festooned in my most flamboyant "Blitz kid" apparel i would bravely mince through the dark brooding streets of Leeds and make my weekly pilgrimage to that sartorial shrine of the alternative, X Clothes on Call lane.Different i certainly was. Purple suede Tukka boots,22 pleat Arabian style Bowie bag trousers. Silk Confederate shirt with ruffled collar and scarlet sash. All topped off with with a bohemian wide brimmed "I'd rather not say what's in the saddle bag,it's personal"white felt fedora hat. Now that sounds suspiciously like someone I actually know!Franco;Do you have a younger brother who has (not been past for a while, so it may be 'had') a Barbers shop?And, did your father live in Stanley?I may be getting 5 from 'adding 2 & 2', but if you don't ask questions, you don't find out