International Club

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
John Croggy

Post by John Croggy »

Anyone remember the time around 1968/9 when the Manager of the International Club, I think it was on Francis St. off Chapeltown Road, was arrested for assault on a police officer? A plain clothes sergeant I think. I believe many of the club members turned up at court as witnesses for the Manager, Clem I seem to remember his first name as. He was found guilty I believe and fined ten shillings. I would be grateful for any more info.John Croggy

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Try trawling the lost night clubs thread

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi John Croggy,I have always known the club as the ‘International club’ but parts of it have gone by other names over the years such as the ‘Phoenix Club’, etc.As far as I am aware, the premises were actually owned, at that time, by one of the few West Indian property owners/businessmen in Chapeltown, called Ashley Hyman.Although it was generally referred to as the ‘International Club’ it was split into two parts. The downstairs of the club was open during the afternoons and was generally frequented by local Leeds ‘villains’ and prostitutes, after the pubs closed at 3pm, and enabled them to drink throughout the afternoons rather than in other ‘Club & Institute” type clubs (e.g. Labour, Conservative, Liberal, Constitutional and Sports clubs, etc.). The upstairs ‘nightclub’ opened in the evenings until around 2am. The clientele was similar but also included local residents, particularly those of West Indian origin. At certain times, during the seventies and eighties, the place was also frequented by students from the Leeds universities, due to the great music and guest bands who played there. It was a great place to listen to reggae and other black music.I knew the two West Indians that ran the place during the late seventies and early eighties, called George and Lloyd. From knowing them, I find it hard to believe that either of them assaulted a Police Officer, as it would have put their licence in jeopardy (again), but, I suppose, it could be true, or it could have been someone else who was the manager at another time.When George and Lloyd left the International Club, they moved on to the Hayfield Pub, which was run on similar lines.Around 1968/69, I got a very good hiding outside the International Club in Nassau Place by three local villains who arrived in a stolen white Ford Zephyr car HUA789D. Two of them, both from Gipton, called Leary and Cheetham, were arrested, but the main man (driver) escaped. I later learned that, at the time of the incident, he was an escapee from prison. On many occasions, over the years, the Police tried, through the courts, to close the place down due to breaches in the Licensing laws, Entertainment and Music laws and also for drug dealing. Sometimes they were successful but the club always re-opened again. I was once in the Stipendiary Magistrates Court in Leeds Town Hall when the case, for revocation of the licences for liquor and entertainment, came up before the stipendiary magistrate John Randolph (who later became a judge). He listened to all of the Police evidence, which was substantial, and then refused to close the place saying “There is a need for premises like this, in a place like Chapeltown”. He then dismissed the case and the club remained open, again.The International Club, along with the Old Bank Club , the Strega Club, and the Sheepscar Club was a place where you get a late drink before visiting a Blues (Shebeen) in the Chapeltown area for the remainder of the night. Over the years, it is fair to say that there were a lot of breaches in all types of laws, rules and regulations and it was always a ‘den of iniquity' for local criminals and prostitutes, but I always found the ‘nightclub’ to have a great atmosphere with great music and I have very happy memories of the place.Ian    
Last edited by iansmithofotley on Thu 03 Feb, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi John Croggy,I have always known the club as the ‘International club’ but parts of it have gone by other names over the years such as the ‘Phoenix Club’, etc.As far as I am aware, the premises were actually owned, at that time, by one of the few West Indian property owners/businessmen in Chapeltown, called Ashley Hyman.Although it was generally referred to as the ‘International Club’ it was split into two parts. The downstairs of the club was open during the afternoons and was generally frequented by local Leeds ‘villains’ and prostitutes, after the pubs closed at 3pm, and enabled them to drink throughout the afternoons rather than in other ‘Club & Institute” type clubs (e.g. Labour, Conservative, Liberal, Constitutional and Sports clubs, etc.). The upstairs ‘nightclub’ opened in the evenings until around 2am. The clientele was similar but also included local residents, particularly those of West Indian origin. At certain times, during the seventies and eighties, the place was also frequented by students from the Leeds universities, due to the great music and guest bands who played there. It was a great place to listen to reggae and other black music.I knew the two West Indians that ran the place during the late seventies and early eighties, called George and Lloyd. From knowing them, I find it hard to believe that either of them assaulted a Police Officer, as it would have put their licence in jeopardy (again), but, I suppose, it could be true, or it could have been someone else who was the manager at another time.When George and Lloyd left the International Club, they moved on to the Hayfield Pub, which was run on similar lines.Around 1968/69, I got a very good hiding outside the International Club in Nassau Place by three local villains who arrived in a stolen white Ford Zephyr car. Two of them, both from Gipton, called O’Leary and Cheetham, were arrested, but the main man (and driver) escaped. I later learned that, at the time of the incident, he was an escapee from prison.On many occasions, over the years, the Police tried, through the courts, to close the place down due to breaches in the Licensing laws, Entertainment and Music laws and also for drug dealing. Sometimes they were successful but the club always re-opened again. I was once in the Stipendiary Magistrates Court in Leeds Town Hall when the case, for revocation of the licences for liquor and entertainment, came up before the stipendiary magistrate John Randolph (who later became a judge). He listened to all of the Police evidence, which was substantial, and then refused to close the place saying “There is a need for premises like this, in a place like Chapeltown”. He then dismissed the case and the club remained open, again.The International Club, along with the Old Bank Club , the Strega Club, and the Sheepscar Club was a place where you get a late drink before visiting a Blues (Shebeen) in the Chapeltown area for the remainder of the night. Over the years, it is fair to say that there were a lot of breaches in all types of laws, rules and regulations and it was always a ‘den of iniquity' for local criminals and prostitutes, but I always found the ‘nightclub’ to have a great atmosphere with great music and I have very happy memories of the place.Ian     Great post Ian, Loads of info thanks.Do you have any recall of the #96 club ,just recently mention in the lost night clubs thread.Cheers Tony
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Tony,I am sorry but I have no personal knowledge of a club at either 76 or 96 Chapeltown Road. However, I seem to remember some shops on the east (even numbers) side of Chapeltown Road and I think that there may have been a small upstairs club amongst them but it was probably active before the time that I worked in the area in the sixties, seventies and eighties.Numbers 76 and 96 Chapeltown Road, which you referred to in the other thread, must have been somewhere near to the Cambridge's which were between Leopold Street and the Library near to Sheepscar Junction. There were some pubs on the west side of Chapeltown Road (odd numbers), namely the Prince of Wales, Cambridge and the original Roscoe (there are extensive and interesting threads on the 'Roscoe' on this site if you use the search facility).The other clubs, in the lower Chapeltown Road area, were the 148 Club (at No. 1 4 8 ), which was a strippers club, and the Lamporte Club which was at the junction with Grange Avenue and was a smaller version of the International Club with similar clientele.There is another possibility, the club may have bee an 'illegal' drinking or gambling club, just the same as a 'Blues' or 'Shabeen'. People often used to say that they had been robbed or assaulted in a 'nightclub' or outside one. When questioned further, it was found that the so-called 'nightclub' was in a back street in Chapeltown. They had actually been to a 'Blues' but, because they had had to pay to get in, and could buy drinks, they thought that the premises were legitimate. This was a common occurrence as the complainants were often very drunk when they visited the premises in the first place.Ian        

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

TonyOn the other thread i said that 96 club rang a bell, but my bell is a bit rusty and I'm pretty sure i was thinking of the 148 Club.

kango

Post by kango »

Hi allThe 148 club used to advertise in the Y.E.P as I recall. Exotic sounding "artistes" who more often than not turned out to be some poor soul trying to supplement the houskeeping, by doing a three minute "bump and grind" to a cheesy backing track. So people tell me!!    

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Guys         ,thanks for all the feedback #148 it is.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

never went there but was it advertised asthe 148 THEATRE club ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi John Croggy,Around 1968/69, I got a very good hiding outside the International Club in Nassau Place by three local villains who arrived in a stolen white Ford Zephyr car. Two of them, both from Gipton, called O’Leary and Cheetham, were arrested, but the main man (and driver) escaped. I later learned that, at the time of the incident, he was an escapee from prison. I have very happy memories of the place.Ian     Gee whizz, Ian! What has to happen to give you unhappy memories?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.