cider annie

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="hermetic"] If anyone has a copy of Cider Annies book, I would love to read it, Mainly to see if i'm in it! If I have read the link correctly, there is a copy available through Leeds libraryhttp://tinyurl.com/qg55z9d

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

uncle mick you are nothing short of a wonder!I searched worldcat, which is a database of books in libraries around the world, and it isn't even listed there.Great work. I'm sure the enquirer will be made up.

oatesa

Re: cider annie

Post by oatesa »

Hi,

My name is Alan Oates and I used to live in Castle House as we knew it. The address was Castle House, Delf End, Pudsey. The house and a small holding (Pigs and Poultry) to the rear was rented from the council. The house did overlook the Mill in the bottom and the cottages which included Annie Jones shop where you could buy cider at 2d a half. By all accounts it was pop really although the bigger boys could pay 4d a glass for a stronger cider. Pictures do show the shop with its orginal shop keeper a Mary Moorhouse. I was 8 years old (1960ish) when we moved out the Castle into a modern Council House. The Castle only had outside toilets emptied once a week, was damp and cold with only a coal fire and a tin bath. Electricity was laid to the house but little else in services, it had a front room, a Kitchen, a bedroom and a box room upstairs with a winding staircase. Outside was a small building housing the toilets also with battlements on to which was great for climbing on.

The house was demolished when we moved out, which was a shame really as these days I am sure George Clarke would have made something of it. Behind the smallholding was a large quarry which I assume became the landfill area. I have not been for many years so I do not know how the area has changed or been developed.

As for my mate Phillip I have not seen him since the 1960s when we did visit them in Bridlington and later Langtoft, so it would be good to make contact again.

When we moved out

jayne

Post by jayne »

I lived on Sutton estate and always went to Cider Annie's with my Dad and brothers, usually on a Sunday. Annie was a small old lady then in the 1960s. The 'cider' was alcohol free although as kids we thought it was real! Walking through black Carr woods on to happy valley and pudsey two ponds finally, Annie's last stop. Being one of seven kids she always gave us free sweets. Great part of my childhood!!! Her shop was small with a thick wooden counter.

LindaWild

Re:

Post by LindaWild »

My dad lived on Tyersal Road, born in the 1940 and moved to Canada in 1958/9. He moved back and brought us kids to stay inTyersal - that would have been in the 70's - I recall he took us on many walks around there - he showed us that Tarzan swing. He was surprised and happy it was still there so that swing must have been there when he was a kid. We'd walk through Gibraltar and go to Cider Annies - he'd have an alcoholic cider and we'd have the non alcoholic. It was a beautiful walk back then, magical for kids. I don't recall seats in cider annies, just you'd walk in stand up and have a cider. I hope the Gibraltar and Tyersal Beck is still there, though I will say it seems there's alot more buildings going up. So sad. Memories are precious.
-----------------------------------------------
dr martin wrote:
Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
the mill is still down the gib (ill spell it correct this time) it now sells marbel. the kids still go down on motor-bikes,but get cleard off verry quick by the councel on their bikes.i dont think the water treatment works is still active,but you can still have lots of fun down there.if you go walking througe the trees next to tyersel path there is the old tarzen swing,im 36 and i have a go when im down there with the dog.a bit dangerous though,if you fell off and hurt yourself youd be there for days till someone comes along. speaking of the gib,fantastic to walk around,miles and miles of contry side and of corse green side tunnel,you can still get through,happy days.

tyke bhoy

Re:

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcome Linda. Unless an insomniac I'm guessing you are several thousand miles West of Leeds. I am not at all familiar with the area of Pudsey you are referring to however the current google maps satellite view (however old it is) certainly suggests the area is still quite rural with Tyersal Beck and Gibraltar Road still visible with the latter passing through a wooded area. I'm also wondering if the post below is from one of your siblings?
Pudsey Wild wrote:
Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:38 pm
My dad used to take us to Cider Annie's, I seem to remember we took country paths and walked through the woods and emerged at her cottage as I recall it ... we walked from 72 Tyersal Road, and I see Gibraltar Lane, can anyone point out where her place was?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

LindaWild

Re: Re:

Post by LindaWild »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Wed 13 May, 2020 6:13 pm
Welcome Linda. Unless an insomniac I'm guessing you are several thousand miles West of Leeds. I am not at all familiar with the area of Pudsey you are referring to however the current google maps satellite view (however old it is) certainly suggests the area is still quite rural with Tyersal Beck and Gibraltar Road still visible with the latter passing through a wooded area. I'm also wondering if the post below is from one of your siblings?
Pudsey Wild wrote:
Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:38 pm
My dad used to take us to Cider Annie's, I seem to remember we took country paths and walked through the woods and emerged at her cottage as I recall it ... we walked from 72 Tyersal Road, and I see Gibraltar Lane, can anyone point out where her place was?
No that was me a few years ago - forgot my login details and had to do a new registration. forgot I posted this. Am in Toronto Canada. I still have family in the Drighlington/PUdsey/Tong area.

PaulHMann

Post by PaulHMann »

I have a digital version of this book.

greenbay

Post by greenbay »

hi everyone some of you have brought back memories some names I remember maybe at Waterloo infant / and junior school Annie's was a well-known meeting place I left Pudsey 30+year's ago

tilly

Post by tilly »

HI greenbay if you have not looked on Pudsey Born And Bred can i suggest you take a look lots of information about Pudsey. I am a member of that site .i have lived in Pudsey for over thirty years and i am a member of that site all the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.