Coffee Bars in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Looks like the Hellenic has gone, newspaper on the windows and a sign saying it has now closed down.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Did the 'milk bars' just sell shakes etc or were they coffee bars too?Just a nipper then & barely recall

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Jogon wrote: Did the 'milk bars' just sell shakes etc or were they coffee bars too?Just a nipper then & barely recall They did, in my recollection Jogon, sell various coffee drinks as well as milky drinks. Milk Bars nearly always had a cooling machine on display in their windows swishing the milk around. The most noticeable thing about milk bars I found, was that they were always chilly places.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ta johnnyI've often double posted - it's partic easy when you think you've not put a picture in & try again. At risk of being off-topic, how's Scarbro'? Leeds cool/4c but a lovely hazy bright day promising spring. The sort you often get after early fog/mist. Very pleasant distant Thrush song (song thrush?) 0640.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Jogon wrote: Ta johnnyI've often double posted - it's partic easy when you think you've not put a picture in & try again. At risk of being off-topic, how's Scarbro'? Leeds cool/4c but a lovely hazy bright day promising spring. The sort you often get after early fog/mist. Very pleasant distant Thrush song (song thrush?) 0640. Thanks Jogon. Scarborough (Cayton) today has had a funny old day weatherwise. It started very cold, grey and foggy. Then about dinner time the fog lifted and the sun came out and, in a sheltered spot at the back of the bungalow, it was positively balmy. It was like that for a couple of hours and when I next looked out you couldn't see the top of the street - been like that ever since. I have a good number of hedge-sparrows in my front hedge who have suddenly become very busy flying hither and thither in preparation of forthcoming events. Evenin' all.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

kenneth wrote: Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. The Carousel also rings a bell with me and another place that springs to mind from those heady days was the Scanda Grill on the front of the Merrion Centre. Also with regard to the Del Rio on Basinghall Street. I remember it used to be run by Dino, Daggi Mama and George. Does that jog eny memories Was it Scanda or Skandia Grill? Anyway it was quite a decent restaurant in its time. In the early 70's I was a poor student but we would go there for a steak to celebrate special occasions .
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Skanda Grill I believe.There's a lot of info about coffee bars in the Caffs and Greasy Spoons thread. And there are several other shorter threads discussing the topic.Job for a mod with a lot of time on their hands!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

LS1 wrote: Looks like the Hellenic has gone, newspaper on the windows and a sign saying it has now closed down. Weirdly enough I was only discussing the fact that I was amazed the place was still going on Monday night.I was talking with an ex member of staff who told me the toilets downstairs were haunted as well as someone who remembered it fondly as a student favourite because of it's cheapness and opportunities for strange people watching!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Geordie-exile wrote: Skanda Grill I believe.There's a lot of info about coffee bars in the Caffs and Greasy Spoons thread. And there are several other shorter threads discussing the topic.Job for a mod with a lot of time on their hands! Skanda, restaurant on Merrion Street. Skandia, cafe in the Merrion Center. Both long gone.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

trophy wrote: i .used to goto squires coffee bar at sherburn a rockers haunt in the sixties .its still going but in larger premises.there was the carousel at rodley and one at farsley which i cant remember the name of. Where in Rodley was the Carousel?