Coffee Bars in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Could be wrong, but wasn't the tomato dip on the left just before the viaduct heading towards town.If not the tomato dip I'm sure that a cafe was there. Seem to remember it being a hang out for teddy boys/rockers and a few of the local hard nuts in the 60s.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

yorkiesknob wrote: Could be wrong, but wasn't the tomato dip on the left just before the viaduct heading towards town.If not the tomato dip I'm sure that a cafe was there. Seem to remember it being a hang out for teddy boys/rockers and a few of the local hard nuts in the 60s. Yes there was indeed a "proper" coffee bar on the left before the viaduct - also nearby were a Bendix launderette and a red wooden building which was Barrett's motorcycles. The Tomato Dip was on the left coming out of town near the Bus Central Works.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

stutterdog wrote: [ Hi there BlakeyHow nice it was to meet you at last and to be able to put a name to a face! I dont know if the cafe was the tomato dip as it had an espresso coffee m/c? It did not seem like a greasy spoon sort of place?But it is a long time ago! Yes indeed - I recognised you straightaway and don't the years roll back ??I'm sure your "proper" coffee bar was the one near the viaduct but on the left going into Leeds - mind you, perhaps if you were visiting it after the Castleton you weren't too sure which side of the road it was on eh ?? Take care.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: stutterdog wrote: [ Hi there BlakeyHow nice it was to meet you at last and to be able to put a name to a face! I dont know if the cafe was the tomato dip as it had an espresso coffee m/c? It did not seem like a greasy spoon sort of place?But it is a long time ago! Yes indeed - I recognised you straightaway and don't the years roll back ??I'm sure your "proper" coffee bar was the one near the viaduct but on the left going into Leeds - mind you, perhaps if you were visiting it after the Castleton you weren't too sure which side of the road it was on eh ?? Take care.I'm sure your right Blakey,and I do think a few pints of Melbourne Bitter could have addled my brain on more than one occasion! Looking forward to next years reunion!
ex-Armley lad

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. The Carousel also rings a bell with me and another place that springs to mind from those heady days was the Scanda Grill on the front of the Merrion Centre. Also with regard to the Del Rio on Basinghall Street. I remember it used to be run by Dino, Daggi Mama and George. Does that jog eny memories
"The Future is not what it used to be"Regards- Kenneth

Hollie

Post by Hollie »

kenneth wrote: Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. The Carousel also rings a bell with me and another place that springs to mind from those heady days was the Scanda Grill on the front of the Merrion Centre. Also with regard to the Del Rio on Basinghall Street. I remember it used to be run by Dino, Daggi Mama and George. Does that jog eny memories Kenneth, What part of Beeston do you hail from? I went to St Lukes and my Mam and Dad had the Off Licence on Malvern Road.
xxx

Armley Lass 47

Post by Armley Lass 47 »

Brought back memories of frothy coffee which was so delicious. I went to most of the cafes mentioned on this thread and thought I was so sophisticated. Only thing was they didnt give us mugs like wit' waater and tea in so you only had to take about 4 sips and it was gone. I only got spending money to buy one and put some money in the juke box lol and the BFH. I remember the Greek one but cant remember what the name was but I did have my first Greek cake in that cafe, I must have saved some money up for that, I remember it was very sticky and gooey.I used to live near Sammy Legards in Armley and used to go on day trips to the seaside with my Auntie. I remember bouncing about at the back of the bus and also remember they used to call their buses'bone shakers'.p.s. they now call frothy coffee Latte and it costs a fortune.
your life comes from your ancestors

RayCooke

Post by RayCooke »

uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? The Blue Gardinier ??
Ray Cooke

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

RayCooke wrote: uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? The Blue Gardinier ?? The Blue Gardenia was on White Horse Street off Boar Lane and the Hellenic is on Vicar Lane

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bit of history of The Blue Gardenia and other Coffee bars herehttp://www.salvos.co.uk/family/history/