Coffee Bars in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

As a teenager in the 60's I used to frequent a basement coffee bar which I remember was in the area between the old west Yorks bus station and the Merrion centre. I think it was greek owned or had a greek theme. For the life of me I can't remember the name. When I came back from the summer holidays with a tan in 1967 the owner thought for some reason I had been with the Israeli army for the 6 day war. If anyone with a better memory can suggest a name for this place I would be grateful.    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Just a guess-- Hellenic ???

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? much talked about higher up if interested

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

chameleon wrote: uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? much talked about higher up if interested Where ???

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There was a coffee bar on Armley Town St. in the 60's, can't remember the name of it though. It was where (after looking on Google Earth) the HowR U Chinese take away is/was, next door to Cash Converters (which used to be a bank). I remember my mum taking me in there when I was about 7 and having my first ever cup of frothy coffee. They had a juke box on the back wall and a pin-ball table too.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

trophy

Post by trophy »

i .used to goto squires coffee bar at sherburn a rockers haunt in the sixties .its still going but in larger premises.there was the carousel at rodley and one at farsley which i cant remember the name of.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? Thanks Uncle Mick - I had forgotten the name completely but the location on Vicar Lane near the "red" bus station is bang on.I found it in the other thread about Caffs and greasy spoons & someone was asking when it opened. Well I first went in about 1963 or 64 when I was still at school. One of the attractions was that everything looked new & modern as if it had just been fitted out. It was a "cool" place for "cats" to hang out on our own when we were too young for the pubs.The frothy coffee machine and the jukebox were the height of sophistication. I always remembered the comment the proprietor made when I hadn't been in for a few months he thought I had volunteered to fight in the 6 day war. By coincidence I had a friend who had done exactly that. Anyway that comment dates the conversation to summer 1967. My last visit would have been about 69 or 70.According to the other thread, amazingly, it is still open. I must drop in next time i'm in Leeds to recapture my youth and see if the guy serving still remembers me!    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Precinct Boy

Post by Precinct Boy »

uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? Was it the Appollo ?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Precinct Boy wrote: uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? Was it the Appollo ? I think it was the Hellenic - and the location seems right.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Chrism wrote: There was a coffee bar on Armley Town St. in the 60's, can't remember the name of it though. It was where (after looking on Google Earth) the HowR U Chinese take away is/was, next door to Cash Converters (which used to be a bank). I remember my mum taking me in there when I was about 7 and having my first ever cup of frothy coffee. They had a juke box on the back wall and a pin-ball table too.     It was actually called the "Coffee Bar"Myself and a few of your Lodge Rd boys used to go in there regular.
"always expect the unexpected"