temple newsam ice house

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

No, the one at York is partly above ground although it does go down into the embankment.    
Attachments
__TFMF_3gcdla45b3izws45tuumw145_8f45cc4a-3e65-46fe-b33c-06415e18e941_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3gcdla45b3izws45tuumw145_8f45cc4a-3e65-46fe-b33c-06415e18e941_0_main.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

It is in temple newsam i can't show where it is but i have some better photos coming it is very hard to photo something that is round its about 15 feet wide and over 40 feet high the sump has been filled with rubbleIts funny that they say it was destroyed in the 70s it should be a listed building they is lots of stuff that should be on show.But i have found in the past if its privately owned it becomes a listed building if its owned by Leeds city council its not they knock things down when they like or leave it to rot then knock it downhistory down the drain.
biggee

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Tasa wrote: No, the one at York is partly above ground although it does go down into the embankment.     ....which places the storage area 'below ground'? The inference is that a large body of earth around/above would serve as an insulator and help prevent infiltration of natural heat.Biggee's picture just gives me an impression of something largely above ground and certainly with a very large air space, neither of which are in keeping with preserving a lower temperature.    

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

Most of the ice house is below ground and some above but covered in stone rubble and earth it is well insulated away from the hot and cold weather.
biggee

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

biggee99 wrote: Most of the ice house is below ground and some above but covered in stone rubble and earth it is well insulated away from the hot and cold weather. That sounds better - can you tell us how to find it Biggee? Please!    

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

I would love to tell of the location but it would be best if i didn't don't like not telling but if it got left open and someone fell down this i would never forgive my self it is quite a drop and down there no one would find you or hear you shout, might put the wife downsoon if she moans any more about me bunker hunting, just kidding.Every week we follow stories and look hard that's how we found this before it was lost forgotten we are on to some good stuff in leeds bunkers is our main thing underground any thing, as you all know leeds city is full of tunnels we have been in a few but not all of them some have cameras in them so it makes it hard not to have our collars felt if we go in and i am to old for that i will be posting more soon i have a lot of stuff on flicker and getting better with finding places. We are on to some thing big around xgates at the moment as well as town area need more time, any questions please fire away. No i won't put any of your wifes down the ice house.
biggee

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

While it's 'unofficial' it's vulnerable to destruction. Make it public get it listed and fully recorded/researched, otherwise it will be lost, not least from someone 'making it safe'.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: While it's 'unofficial' it's vulnerable to destruction. Make it public get it listed and fully recorded/researched, otherwise it will be lost, not least from someone 'making it safe'. Guess we'll never know whether it's an ice house or as it seems, probably something else then.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

chameleon wrote: Tasa wrote: No, the one at York is partly above ground although it does go down into the embankment.     ....which places the storage area 'below ground'? The inference is that a large body of earth around/above would serve as an insulator and help prevent infiltration of natural heat.Biggee's picture just gives me an impression of something largely above ground and certainly with a very large air space, neither of which are in keeping with preserving a lower temperature.     Yes, definitely, the York ice house goes some way down, although you can see the bottom easily from the entrance. I'm puzzled by the "chimney" in biggee's photo - don't know why you would have such a thing in an ice house. There are clearly some metal braces, suggesting it's being protected from people/animals falling through. It seems more like a kiln, perhaps, although without the discolouration of a kiln having been in regular use.        

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Reservoir associated with industry?