temple newsam ice house

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

doesn't putting a chimney in the roof of a ice house defeat the whole object of trying to keep all the warmth out and the cold in lol???Im sorry but i will have to go on the lines with tasa and her kiln.Or maybe even a smoking room for fish or dry curing ham maybe??
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Game or veg cellar store, both need to be cool but ventilated. Usually built into the side of a hill though and not so deep.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: doesn't putting a chimney in the roof of a ice house defeat the whole object of trying to keep all the warmth out and the cold in lol???Im sorry but i will have to go on the lines with tasa and her kiln.Or maybe even a smoking room for fish or dry curing ham maybe?? That was my point about there being so much air space - all would have to be cooled at the expense of a lot of melting ice, really need to see it to make a better assessment. Rather precise and elaborate brickwork for a simple utility too.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It is similar to the Harewood Ice house. Once they'd got a large vol of ice in the bottom it would be covered with a thick layer of straw and you also need access height to actually get a person in.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

See this link to the Ice house at Parlington Hall:http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures. ... ss=struct6

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Now, come to think. I've seena small grating serving no obvious purpose in a low wall aside a footpath, towards the golf course if I remember rightly. Rather small to be an entrance though. (Unless you were a very very small Monk ).Straw covering makes sense - excellent insulator.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

That's where they kept Mary Queen of Scots.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

Here is the entrance to the ice house it had a wood floor now rottenyou can crumble this in your hand the ice sump is filled with rubble.
Attachments
__TFMF_cxpck2312oyxdybyalj5hv55_b523a08b-6ae1-4dce-8657-2c0cff51c760_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cxpck2312oyxdybyalj5hv55_b523a08b-6ae1-4dce-8657-2c0cff51c760_0_main.jpg (216.56 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
biggee

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Great pictures. I wonder why it has been described as destroyed by open casting when in fact it is intact. Were there more than one perhaps?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

There used to be a 'tunnel' leading off into the woods at tempy just next to the old(now filled in)pond,but the last time i was up there it had been blocked off with bars.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.