temple newsam ice house

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
parlington

Post by parlington »

Cardiarms wrote: See this link to the Ice house at Parlington Hall:http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures. ... ss=struct6 I recently did an architectural style sketch of a section through the Ice House at Parlington, I suspect the one at Temple Newsam may be similar, I've not visited it so can't be certain. The link is halfway down the page mentioned above, just before the coloured picture of the structure, on a javascript pop-up window, titled: Architectural Detail of the Ice House. This type of Ice House is called a "Cup and Dome" Ice House. It should be listed as they are fantastic buildings.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

parlington wrote: Cardiarms wrote: See this link to the Ice house at Parlington Hall:http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures. ... ss=struct6 I recently did an architectural style sketch of a section through the Ice House at Parlington, I suspect the one at Temple Newsam may be similar, I've not visited it so can't be certain. The link is halfway down the page mentioned above, just before the coloured picture of the structure, on a javascript pop-up window, titled: Architectural Detail of the Ice House. This type of Ice House is called a "Cup and Dome" Ice House. It should be listed as they are fantastic buildings. That fits the bill well Parlington and seems to put paid to any theory of it being something else - the question now would seem to be why it is said to have been destroyed.

parlington

Post by parlington »

chameleon wrote: parlington wrote: Cardiarms wrote: See this link to the Ice house at Parlington Hall:http://www.parlington.co.uk/structures. ... ss=struct6 I recently did an architectural style sketch of a section through the Ice House at Parlington, I suspect the one at Temple Newsam may be similar, I've not visited it so can't be certain. The link is halfway down the page mentioned above, just before the coloured picture of the structure, on a javascript pop-up window, titled: Architectural Detail of the Ice House. This type of Ice House is called a "Cup and Dome" Ice House. It should be listed as they are fantastic buildings. That fits the bill well Parlington and seems to put paid to any theory of it being something else - the question now would seem to be why it is said to have been destroyed. There may well have been more than one, at Parlington was a second but smaller structure near to Home Farm. Sadly that had the dome smashed in by the local forester and was then filled in. 'Helf an Safety', Guv! Cheaper than re-instating and making something out of it. Makes me very annoyed!

Si

Post by Si »

Weren't ice houses usually built near to lakes? Is this amazing structure near a body of water?    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: Weren't ice houses usually built near to lakes? Is this amazing structure near a body of water?     The location isn't being shared with us Si, we might have to approach the Council for that but I suspect that may not be in everyone's interests somehow.    

parlington

Post by parlington »

Si wrote: Weren't ice houses usually built near to lakes? Is this amazing structure near a body of water?     They were always built in fairly close proximity to a water source, that is a water source that would freeze, therefore a small lake near the stately home was a handy supply! Whereas a fast moving stream would require much lower teperatures to freeze over. But remember that the period of usage coincides with the end of the time generally termed the as the "Little Ice Age", when temperatures were significantly cooler than the late twentieth century. I have calculated that the ice house at Parlington would have required around 60 tonnes of ice to fill it. Thus you can extrapolate how much surface area of ice at a given thickness would be required to fill one of these structures. You then realize how damned hard the people worked!

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

chameleon wrote: Now, come to think. I've seena small grating serving no obvious purpose in a low wall aside a footpath, towards the golf course if I remember rightly. Rather small to be an entrance though. (Unless you were a very very small Monk ).Straw covering makes sense - excellent insulator. I know where you mean. To the left side looking at the house. On the path to the big pond / paddling pool of the 70's. I always thought it was some kind of culvert for the old pond but I don't think the pond was very old.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

parlington

Post by parlington »

A bit more information about this structure. There is a book titled "The Ice Houses of Britain" by Sylvia Beamon and Susan Roaf, the Temple Newsam Ice House has an entry in the gazetteer section of the book which states: "Guides at the hall say that the ice-house has been opencasted away. It was sited in a shady part of Dawson's Wood (c. SE358 318). Although the wood is noted on Yorkshire (West Riding) Sheet CCXVIII.12 of 1893 and 1908, the building is not. Fishponds lie in the vicinity. Details on the hall's information board state that the walls were 2ft (.6m) thick: the entrance faced N, and the ice house was last used c. 1880. It took thirty men almost a week to store 40 tons of ice."The book was published in 1990 and is the definitive work on Ice Houses in the UK. So the one mentioned here may be a different structure. Interestingly the Ice House at Parlington does not feature in the book either.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Found this for the first time last week. Not too far away from where you may thing though Laurel Wood it is more than Dawson. Seems that is not too far from the ponds so is really quite near water, although filthy water!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

We 'found' this a couple of months ago when walking in the woods and had another look at it yesterday (following our walk at Parlington on Sunday, thanks again, Brian).It is quite close to the fish ponds but a fair distance from the House.