Sports shops in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
iansmithofotley

Re: Sports shops in Leeds.

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

It seems that, over your life, you have had many, and diverse, jobs. I wonder if the term 'Jack of all trades' was derived after you?. Believe it or not, in my life time, I have only ever had two jobs. My eldest son (49 yrs.) still works as an electrician for N.G. Bailey & Co. Ltd., where he started as an apprentice, aged 16 yrs. I am led to believe that 'jobs for life' are a thing of the past. Some people might think that it is a good thing, whereas others may think that it is a shame.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Ian, Left school in 1950 and first job was at Weavers, gents outfitters, corner of Cookridge St nd Wood house Lane.
After a while i found it too far to travel 6 days a week from Beeston so took a job at the Elland Rd. greyhound track
Then needing a job that paid more i went to work at Spaldings USA> sports shop in King Edward St. finally went to work at W.Stembridges Sovereign St. before joing the RAF.

After 3 years i returned to Leeds and went to work at a Carpet shop down North St. enjoyed it there with a gang of lads, we moved to Cross York St. and took over the old Chapel there. was there for 8 years as a salesman but never got on with the Manager. One Sat night the Boss called me in and gave me the sack, no reason so after i got over the shock i vowed never to work for anyone again and i never did. Had my ups and downs from that day on and could write a book about them.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

Thank you for sharing.

After leaving school in 1962, I worked as an audit clerk for a Leeds firm of Chartered Accountants for just under three years and then joined the Leeds City Police in 1965 and served for just over thirty years. I retired in 1995 and decided that if I could manage to live on my Police Pension, then I would not get another job and just enjoy my hobbies. I have never regretted it. I know of some ex-coppers who retired from the Police on a Friday and started as a 'civvie' with the force on the following Monday. That was their choice and good luck to them. They, no doubt, earned/have a lot more money than I do, but money isn't everything to me. I still continue to do my hobbies of sailing dinghy racing, windsurfing, going to the gym, watching rugby, fishing, motorhoming and holidays.

I apologise for going 'off topic'.

Ian

tilly

Post by tilly »

I left school at fifteen my mam brought me and my sister up on her own so i had to get a job to help out.I have had more jobs than you can count on both hands in the mid sixties i was earning over seventy pounds a week working has an hydro carbon reforming plant fitter on contract to the Gas Board.Spent ten years has a sales rep among many other jobs only levels i have had are spirit levels a lack a further education has never held me back the last ten years of my working life were working has a school caretaker dropped my income by fifty per cent but my quality of life went up one hundred per cent.I like you Jack could write a book about my working life.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly wrote:
Thu 13 Jun, 2019 7:46 pm
I left school at fifteen my mam brought me and my sister up on her own so i had to get a job to help out.I have had more jobs than you can count on both hands in the mid sixties i was earning over seventy pounds a week working has an hydro carbon reforming plant fitter on contract to the Gas Board.Spent ten years has a sales rep among many other jobs only levels i have had are spirit levels a lack a further education has never held me back the last ten years of my working life were working has a school caretaker dropped my income by fifty per cent but my quality of life went up one hundred per cent.I like you Jack could write a book about my working life
Wot no "Gap Year" In those days we left school on Friday 4pm.and started work on Monday morning.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

volvojack wrote:
Fri 14 Jun, 2019 4:58 pm
tilly wrote:
Thu 13 Jun, 2019 7:46 pm
I left school at fifteen my mam brought me and my sister up on her own so i had to get a job to help out.I have had more jobs than you can count on both hands in the mid sixties i was earning over seventy pounds a week working has an hydro carbon reforming plant fitter on contract to the Gas Board.Spent ten years has a sales rep among many other jobs only levels i have had are spirit levels a lack a further education has never held me back the last ten years of my working life were working has a school caretaker dropped my income by fifty per cent but my quality of life went up one hundred per cent.I like you Jack could write a book about my working life

Wot no "Gap Year" In those days we left school on Friday 4pm.and started work on Monday morning.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Your right Jack we had to get on with it there was no hanging about you did what you had to and got on with it no hand outs.I have had my ups and downs but on the whole i have had a good life paid my own way never been in debt.I still say if i was younger and out of work i would be out every day until i got a job but thats how i was brought up, i think it would be he same with you but we come from a different time im not saying every young person cant be bothered but a hell of a lot of them cant and thats a big problem in my eyes.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the 1940s the sports shop on Leeds bridge was Wainwrights ( I think Terry Cooper had an interest in that shop) but by then there would have been more sports outlets in the city center And that shop was out of the way.
Herbert Sutcliffe's shop was indeed in Queen Victoria St. corner of the Arcade. In the 50s i worked in Spaldings sports shop in King Edward St, This was an American Company and i recall the Manager (he was an absolute b.....d to work for) we sold golf clubs, cricket bats and all sorts of sports gear except for clothing. He used to send me to Sutcliffes with half a dozen cricket bats for signing and then put them on show. He used to also send me with a heavy bag full of bats to a place on Kirkstall Hill where they used to repair and and polish them up like new after soaking them in linseed oil.
Arthur Clues sports shop was on Woodhouse lane and many times i carried bats up to his shop. Thinking back to those times i think the manager Mr. Wilson had his fingers in many pies.. He was a sly bugger at best. My worst job there was when a customer brought a cricket bat in for a new rubber on the handle. they had to be rolled on by hand it was an awful painful job, the tennis racquet handle having a new rubber on was bad enough.
The previous Lad that I replaced used to take racquets home for restringing and was paid a shilling a string. ( the manager charged the customer 2/6 per string ) and my first fallout with him was when i refused to take them home and repair these. Anyway my uncle offered me a job in a tailoring Factory in Swinegate. More money and the place was full of females. All shapes and all sizes. We parted the best of enemies and in later years he was the manager of a shop of a gun shop (somewhere near +

What this has got to do with Sports shops in the 80s i don't really know so apologies but at my age i can only look back.
Last edited by volvojack on Tue 22 Dec, 2020 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Very interesting Jack if i put my working life on here it would take forever to read it, with me its been if the money was better and i could do it then i went for it. I have bluffed my way into a lot of jobs and done them with no complaints from the bosses you have to do what you have to do to make a living.