Slomans Soap

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

[quotenick="dogduke"] nick_b wrote: and another one with my aunt on it [/quotThe van registration is I think mid fiftiees, but the phone number is strange.As i recall all Leeds numbers were 5 digits until the mid 70's whenan additional 2 was added as a prefix. I don't remember 6 digit numbers around the photo era The addition of a '2' was much later than the 70's and coincided with the national code changes!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

[quotenick="chameleon"] dogduke wrote: nick_b wrote: and another one with my aunt on it [/quotThe van registration is I think mid fiftiees, but the phone number is strange.As i recall all Leeds numbers were 5 digits until the mid 70's whenan additional 2 was added as a prefix. I don't remember 6 digit numbers around the photo era The addition of a '2' was much later than the 70's and coincided with the national code changes! I think this has been discussed before but from memory.I remember having to relearn the few numbers I knew so probably around 10 years old which would put it mid 70's. From memory another digit was placed in a 5 digit number in position 2 in the 6 digit number it became.The addition of the 2 at the front to make a 7 digit number was probably mid 90s which is when the STD changed from 0532 to 0113. Because at the time all Leeds numbers began 0113 2 many people wrongly assumed the std was 01132 and there are still many vans about that signwriters incorrectly painted 01132 xxxxxx on. I know 2 has been joined by at least 8 and 3 as the first of the 7 digits in Leeds phone numbers.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

[quotenick="tyke bhoy"] chameleon wrote: dogduke wrote: nick_b wrote: and another one with my aunt on it [/quotThe van registration is I think mid fiftiees, but the phone number is strange.As i recall all Leeds numbers were 5 digits until the mid 70's whenan additional 2 was added as a prefix. I don't remember 6 digit numbers around the photo era The addition of a '2' was much later than the 70's and coincided with the national code changes! I think this has been discussed before but from memory.I remember having to relearn the few numbers I knew so probably around 10 years old which would put it mid 70's. From memory another digit was placed in a 5 digit number in position 2 in the 6 digit number it became.The addition of the 2 at the front to make a 7 digit number was probably mid 90s which is when the STD changed from 0532 to 0113. Because at the time all Leeds numbers began 0113 2 many people wrongly assumed the std was 01132 and there are still many vans about that signwriters incorrectly painted 01132 xxxxxx on. I know 2 has been joined by at least 8 and 3 as the first of the 7 digits in Leeds phone numbers. Yes you are quite correct - the wiki link is a good one. I was responsible for initiating the changes into our large office PBX at the time and educating people was 'fun'The misconception about the placing of the '2' was quite an issue and as you sumise continues to this day. We had to abandon several of our direct dial numbers because of the number of nuisance calls arising from its incorrect use, usually from adding a second '2' into the dialed number! - 01132 2xxxxxx which conflicted badly with a number range being used by a provider other than BT at that time.The real laugh - a friend recently viewed his on-line BT bill to see his number had become 01132 6xxxxx! No hope for us is there!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

To continue with the Sloman theme.It appears that the Slomans never manufactured the stuff.They just bought it in, and then distributed it.So who actually made it.......... the Q of the day.

jb

Post by jb »

No this is wrong -Sloman's Soap WAS made in Leeds - I can remember as a little girl ( approx 55 years ago) going to the factory with my father ( one of the brothers in the photo who had most to do with the business) and watching it being made, pressed, stamped ,packaged etc. Who told you it was bought in? I am amazed to find this web site. Nick B - I am your mother's first cousin I think.

nick_b

Post by nick_b »

JB if you're Judith (née Woolf), you and my mum Josie (née Woolf) are first cousins.What a small world.She would like to know if you have any more recollection or information about the factory and whereabouts it was. She is trying to track down details about it.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

"It appears that the Slomans never manufactured the stuff.""No this is wrong -Sloman's Soap WAS made in Leeds - I can remember as a little girl ( approx 55 years ago) going to the factory" My apologies for this incorrect info.I have now been informed that the soap was made by Soloman Woolfassisted by Fanny Sloman

David B

Post by David B »

I am a relative too... My grandma, Tilly Fox (nee Woolf) was Bernard Sloman's sister. I love the photos and it brings back great memories. Who else knows the Marks & Spencer story! If anyone has more photos or memories, I'd love to see them.David Bransby (Leeds)
David B

nick_b

Post by nick_b »

David B wrote: I am a relative too... My grandma, Tilly Fox (nee Woolf) was Bernard Sloman's sister. I love the photos and it brings back great memories. Who else knows the Marks & Spencer story! If anyone has more photos or memories, I'd love to see them.David Bransby (Leeds) hi David. A bit of a family gathering going on here!My mum says that she was speaking to your mum on the phone this morning!And yes i've heard of the Marks and Spencer story. I think that we should be entitled to a hefty inheritance there.i will try and find some more photos