Slomans Soap

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Davidbransby

Post by Davidbransby »

However interesting it is to know the history of the dialing codes past and present of Leeds, it is detracting from the original thread of Sloman Soap. May I suggest that a new thread is established to continue the dialling code story.Kind regardsThe Sloman Family

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Davidbransby wrote: However interesting it is to know the history of the dialing codes past and present of Leeds, it is detracting from the original thread of Sloman Soap. May I suggest that a new thread is established to continue the dialling code story.Kind regardsThe Sloman Family A very pleasant first post if I may sayKind RegardsThe Secret Leeds Family

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Davidbransby wrote: However interesting it is to know the history of the dialing codes past and present of Leeds, it is detracting from the original thread of Sloman Soap. May I suggest that a new thread is established to continue the dialling code story.Kind regardsThe Sloman Family It's already appeared on page 1 of this threadso we are repeating ourselves.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

Having started this thread I am pleased at its success and all the offshoots - thanks to an anonymous poster I have recently bought 12 bars on Leeds Market and shaving is once again easy - I amm in Leeds the week after next and will stock up again ( at 75p per bar its a steal)
All knowledge is important

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

Having started this thread I am pleased at its success and all the offshoots - thanks to an anonymous poster I have recently bought 12 bars on Leeds Market and shaving is once again easy - I amm in Leeds the week after next and will stock up again ( at 75p per bar its a steal)
All knowledge is important

FifiTrixi

Post by FifiTrixi »

I am researching my husband's family tree and there family stories about being related to the Sloman Soap family. We have a couple of old bars in a box of my father-in-law's here! I came across this old ongoing conversation about the company and wonder how I can get in touch with some of you who also appear to be part of the family.I've often heard mention of Sloman the Bird Whistler and how he gave several command performances to either Queen Victoria and/or Edward VII but that's as much as I have gleaned and I don't know his relationship to my husband. I believe that my husband's great grandfather, Sam Lelyveld, was married to a Constance Sloman but I am struggling to find a marriage certificate to confirm that.Would love to hear from any of you who can help me piece this puzzle together, either here or via my ancestry.co.uk site where my username is BumpyPotato.Here's hoping!

boonaraisa

Post by boonaraisa »

Is there anyone out there who can help with family research into the Sloman/Gross family? I'm researching my husband's family who were in Leeds during the 1800s onwards. I found the Sloman Soap connection more or less by accident and was amazed to find photos of 3 Sloman men in the not so distant past. I'm happy to correspond per email (preferably) and share information of course.

FifiTrixi

Post by FifiTrixi »

Hi boonraisaI'm fairly new to researching the Sloman family but I have got a family tree on ancestry.co.uk with some initial findings. If you want to send me your email address to me at [email protected] I will happily share what I have got. Don't know how much you will glean from it.Anyway, looking forward to your email.RegardsFiona Langford

jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Haven't been around here for some time, but I am interested in following up any information with either you, FifiTrixie or boonraisa.In my searchings for more detail about the Sloman family, I came across the surnames Langford and, indirectly, Lelyveld. Jeremy Langford's great grandfather, it seems, was a royal court entertainer in the United Kingdom (specializing in whistling) who served in the court of King Edward VII and opened the soap factory Sloman’s. Coincidence? I think not!! The Langford surname was originally Lelyveld, with origins in the Netherlands.Fiona, if it is OK, I shall email you.

FifiTrixi

Post by FifiTrixi »

Love to get an email from you jaybee. I think my email address is visible to you.Looking forward to it.