Furs of Fish Street

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

We've done many a thread about the likes of Marshall & Snelgrove, Van Allen. Amber Fashions etc. but I don't recall us mentioning this shop. I wonder how much call there was for musquash among the 'great and the good' before the backlash came.There was another fur and leather shop on Commercial Street too, opposite what used to be Ravel. A couple of shops back from H Samuel on Briggate. D'oh, now I'm trying to remember the name of Ravel's rival outrageous shoe shop fairly opposite. I used to go a gym upstairs called Butterflies with a single door entrance between the shops.    

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Geordie-exile wrote: We've done many a thread about the likes of Marshall & Snelgrove, Van Allen. Amber Fashions etc. but I don't recall us mentioning this shop. I wonder how much call there was for musquash among the 'great and the good' before the backlash came.There was another fur and leather shop on Commercial Street too, opposite what used to be Ravel. A couple of shops back from H Samuel on Briggate. D'oh, now I'm trying to remember the name of Ravel's rival outrageous shoe shop fairly opposite. I used to go a gym upstairs called Butterflies with a single door entrance between the shops.     I'll have to ask my wife.I remember one fur shop we went in the fur coats were upstairs, and you went up in the lift. If the sale was unsuccessful you got shown the stairs to find your own way out ! LOL.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Geordie-exile wrote: D'oh, now I'm trying to remember the name of Ravel's rival outrageous shoe shop fairly opposite.     Was it Russell & Bromley ?

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Now that I've had a guess at the above, what was the name of the shoe shop further down commercial street, about 5 doors past where the old Yates Wine Lodge used to be , where you used to go down the stairs, real small shopfront, this is going back to the early 70's Jeff

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

I'm having a thread here all to myself ;-)the shop I was thinking of was Vernon Humpage, tell me I'm not wrong, that there was a Yates Wine Lodge near here . . http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 016_164970

String o' beads

Russell & Bromley was down t'other end, near where your Vernon Humpage was.Twas Dysons Furs, I've remembered, and there was I think, also Northern Furs near the Precinct pub. Still can't remember the other outrageous type shoe shop...

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I think the Fur Shop on Commercial Street was called "Henry Burger"

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I thought Vernon Humpage was a friend of Finbarr Saunders....Great name.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Barwicker wrote: I think the Fur Shop on Commercial Street was called "Henry Burger" this just gets better drapesy talk about double entendre's, Henry Burger who owns a fur shop lolMr burger and his furs lol    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

String o' beads

drapesy wrote: I thought Vernon Humpage was a friend of Finbarr Saunders....Great name. Fnar.