dogduke

Re: leeds united

Post by dogduke »

On Facebook.

Old photographs of Leeds page

100 photos of the shindg marking the club centenary

Spot the player !

Some of the older ones might start you thinking
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dogduke wrote:
Sat 19 Oct, 2019 12:28 am
On Facebook.

Old photographs of Leeds page

100 photos of the shindg marking the club centenary

Spot the player !

Some of the older ones might start you thinking
This is from LUTV https://tinyurl.com/y2jc2x5t

This is from the official LUFC page on Facebook https://tinyurl.com/y4ngjbbh

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Gary Sprake: Ex-Wales and Leeds United goalkeeper dies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37709753

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Fearnley, Bannister, Milburn, Henry, Holly(capt) Brown, Cochrane, Powell,Ainsley, Short, Grainger.
that is the first complete team that i can remember
It was a tanner 6d. for kids, 3d. for the boys pen Lowfields Road end which was not a Stand, just terracing,open to the elements. My brother and i were there when Big John Charles made his debut and kept some Scottish Centre forward under his thumb.
Our dad used to drop us off at the ground and after the match we would walk up Wesley St. to my Aunts for tea. If Utd. played Newcastle the famous Jackie Milbirn would also walk up with his brother Jimmy and
seemed like quite a few relatives.
How things have changed. Big Jack Charlton lived in a semi. opposite the entrance to the ground.(married a Middleton lass ) Harold Williams lived in a back to back on Beeston Rd. overlooking the Brickworks.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Brunel wrote:
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 11:45 am

Though i did not know Gary that well my partner Steve and i had a carpet fitting business and as many of the the Unitedg lads were getting married ,mostly buying houses/bungalows in the Garforth area. Gary was mowing his lawn with an electric mower, i must have mentioned that my non electric one was hard work. Gary immediately offered to lend me his.the following week we were working up there again and he told me it was ready to collect. I was living in Allenby Drive Beeston and i guess now the Mower was making me take my time 'cos when i came to cut the grass at the front of the house the mower suddenly stopped so i stoodit upside down and began to pull out the grass jammed between the blades. (Big mistake) as i cleared most of the grass out .the handles which where upside down, touching the ground began to activate and i just managed to get mt fingers out in time.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Brunel wrote:
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 11:45 am

What again?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

volvojack wrote:
Sun 20 Oct, 2019 3:40 pm
Fearnley, Bannister, Milburn, Henry, Holly(capt) Brown, Cochrane, Powell,Ainsley, Short, Grainger.
that is the first complete team that i can remember
It was a tanner 6d. for kids, 3d. for the boys pen Lowfields Road end which was not a Stand, just terracing,open to the elements. My brother and i were there when Big John Charles made his debut and kept some Scottish Centre forward under his thumb.
Our dad used to drop us off at the ground and after the match we would walk up Wesley St. to my Aunts for tea. If Utd. played Newcastle the famous Jackie Milbirn would also walk up with his brother Jimmy and
seemed like quite a few relatives.
How things have changed. Big Jack Charlton lived in a semi. opposite the entrance to the ground.(married a Middleton lass ) Harold Williams lived in a back to back on Beeston Rd. overlooking the Brickworks.
Amongst the members of that fine bunch of players,Jack,I couldn't help but notice David Cochrane's name.
After retirement he ran a newsagent shop in Beeston till his death.
His daughter still lives locally and can be seen walking her dog in the park most days.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Four of us drove up to Glasgow midweek to watch United play Celtic in the second leg of the European cup semi final though we had llost 1-0 in the first leg we were pretty confident we could still go through to the final. There where 126,000 in the stadium and when Billy Bremner scored a cracker it looked like we on our way. then Gary got
carried off injured, David Harvey took his place so in the end we lost. I fimly believe that with Gary betweenthe sticks we would have won
He did some wonderful things with United and unfortuntely once playing against Liverpool he attempted to throw out the ball, it ended up ithe Leeds net and since then "Careless Hands" was sung by the Kop every Leeds played them

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Harold Searson signed for Leeds in the early 50s and some one sent him a toy doll which he kept in the back of the net. The Yorks Ev. Post held a comp to name the doll and i must have sent in a dozen or so entries The winner was Lulu and i could have cried having to miss something so obvious

Nobbyboy1

Post by Nobbyboy1 »

Service crew