Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Who remembers Barber Jims at Beeston Hill. His shop was near the junction with Cemetery Road, just above were the HSBC bank is now.My Dad & brothers all went there. Jim would always ask my younger brother what style he wanted- whatever he asked for-Tony Curtis, DA (or even Yul Brynner!) he always came out with a Short back and sides. The emphasis being on SHORT!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

arry awk wrote: Thanks Uno. No, there's no H in 'Arry! I neverASPIRED to 'igher things!Not my proper name anyroadup! I clicked for the nicknameArry Awk after a camp concert in the RAF and we dida parody on 'Old Uncle Tom Cobbleigh' characters!I was 'tail end charlie' on the horse, of course.(Won't tellyou how I stayed on!). Got a good laff in those daysand NO I can't remember the words we used!!!Not been round Domestic St for years so guess it'sunrecogniseable now (Motor way slip roads etc!).cheersarry Mornin' 'ArryThis might be construed as being off-topic, but I hope your experience with the Widecombe Fair song was better that that of participants in a similar performance at a concert at Back Lane Methodist Church, Farsley, sometime in the 1950s. A number of men had dressed as yokels, borrowing wives' nighties to use as smocks, and chewing straws. A number of them took out their false teeth, which were left in the dressing room. During the performance my godfather went into the dressing room and swapped all the teeth around, so you can imagine the chaos afterwards as teeth and owners sought to be re-united!Anyway, what's this with 'arry 'awk being "tail end charlie" on the horse? I always thought that would be Old Uncle Tom Cobbleigh, according to the order in the song? And the unnamed singer presumably slotted in somewhere?Cheers, U Hoo
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

No, Uno hooUncle Tom followed behind the hoss,(which was very slow,due to large the passenger load!),with a bucket and shovelto collect any manure for his prize roses!Dunno abt the unknown singer but arry awk had to 'slot in' somewhere! No wonder the old grey mare took sick and 'er died!HOOO Arrr!Bet that was a laugh with the poor guys' gnashers at theMethodist Concert!My sister in law who was a Probationer nurse,told usof one of her colleagues taking all the geriatrics' falseteeth in a bowl out to the ante roomand washed and rinsed them all at once!Porridge and bread and milk every meal for a day or two!Could just imagine 'em trying all the dentures and smilingto see if they'd found a better pair! Spike Milligan comes to mind!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

This has little relevence to the thread but according to one site on the internet..."Tom Pearce. Tom Pearce, lend me your grey mare,All along, down along, out along lee,For I want for to go to Widdecombe Fair,Wi' Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davy, Dan'l Whiddon,Harry Hawk, old uncle Tom Cobbley and all,"CHORUS: Old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! i thought the car was was my property!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

jim

Post by jim »

Just found this thread, having seen a current mention of old barbers shops.Mad Jack of Domestic Street had an earlier establishment on Nineveh Road until it was cleared. I understood he used to work in Holbeck Engine Sheds and cut hair at work until asked whether he shouldn't be working for his employer, so he opened up across the road from the Sheds. He used to play cornet in the shop when he had nothing else to do, or occasionally if he just felt that way inclined. He could also tell the most outrageous stories, and if any of the lads used bad language would upbraid them with the words "I'll have no ******* swearing in my shop!"    

kango

Post by kango »

jim wrote: Just found this thread, having seen a current mention of old barbers shops.Mad Jack of Domestic Street had an earlier establishment on Nineveh Road until it was cleared. I understood he used to work in Holbeck Engine Sheds and cut hair at work until asked whether he shouldn't be working for his employer, so he opened up across the road from the Sheds. He used to play cornet in the shop when he had nothing else to do, or occasionally if he just felt that way inclined. He could also tell the most outrageous stories, and if any of the lads used bad language would upbraid them with the words "I'll have no ******* swearing in my shop!"     Hi JimMad Jacks surname wouldn't be Salmon by any chance? If so He's very distant Family.    

jim

Post by jim »

Sorry Kango, I can't remember the surname, and Salmon doesn't ring a bell ( although that may just be advanced decrepitude on my part ). All I can say is that the shop in Nineveh Road was extant in the 1950s and early 1960s, and by the 1970s the business had moved to Domestic Street, where I think it may still be. I'm reasonably certain that Jack himself will not be there, unless he is a centenarian tonsurial operative!

kango

Post by kango »

jim wrote: Sorry Kango, I can't remember the surname, and Salmon doesn't ring a bell ( although that may just be advanced decrepitude on my part ). All I can say is that the shop in Nineveh Road was extant in the 1950s and early 1960s, and by the 1970s the business had moved to Domestic Street, where I think it may still be. I'm reasonably certain that Jack himself will not be there, unless he is a centenarian tonsurial operative! Understood JimI have a relative, by the name of Salmon, who's Father had a Barber shop on Domestic street at that time. I only thought of a connection not so much by name, but by the fact that My Relative is a complete lunatic and somewhat in accord with Mad Jack!!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

A former Rugby player called Arthur Lewis had a shop on the little parade at the back of the Ground in St. Michael's Lane. The shop is still in business and for many years has been run by Arthur's two daughters who do an excellent job for a very moderate fee. I think Arthur is in his eighties now but very fit and pops in occasionally. While I was waiting a while ago he called in and I greeted him - he said "Hello,I remember your face." Pointing at the few strands which now remain on my shiny pate I replied "Well you certainly won't remember my hair." We all had a good laugh about it.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.