Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Si

Post by Si »

Brandy wrote: dogduke wrote: Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! Malcolm used to work for Alf and later bought the business fromhim.Used to listen the the football on the radio in the fifties there.Alf had a couple of little compartments near the mirrors-something like 'Alfs patented steriliser' whre he put combs,clippers and razorsI would be about 10 at the time. you know what? your right mate,ive just asked mi mam about mad Malcolm's and she told me that it was actually Alf who used cut my hair(and rag my head all over for not keeping still)but then Malcolm took over and hence the nickname"Mad Malcolm's"" Is this the same Alf I mentioned earlier in this thread, Brandy? (Alf Learoyd?) He used to belt me round the ear if I didn't sit still!When I was a kid, we lived in Pudsey, but my dad worked in Armley, so he would take me to Alf's at some unearthly hour for me haircut, then take me to school in Pudsey, before driving back to Armley.I still go to the dentist's in Hunslet (though I now live in Otley) for the same reason!

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

I dont know if the barbers is still there but in the early 60s I used to go with my Dad for his haircut to a barbers near the Corn Exchange I think it was called Homburgs,you went downstairs i think it was next to the tobaconists.
Ex Leeds Lass

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi SiYep it was the basic gum arabic Paley used in makingTellota that held me RAF'at on! Was glad when they issued uswith berets and we could get back to Brylcreem!Re Jim's ETE on Armley Town St. He can't have closed in 1971 because I didn't join Kent Meters till 1981, whenGreenbat closed down and I was redundant. He must stillhave been there mid eighties for me to have been a client!(Sorry Mum!). Can't remember him going to Canal Road.Mebbe he had a twin doppelganger!FLOJO, It WAS Homburg's barbers down the stepsoutside the Corn Exchange, Just under the Wallace Arnoldbooking office ,if I remember. There was a gent's toilet down the same steps I think

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

arry awk wrote: Hi SiYep it was the basic gum arabic Paley used in makingTellota that held me RAF'at on! Was glad when they issued uswith berets and we could get back to Brylcreem!Chrism.Re Jim's ETE on Armley Town St. He can't have closed in 1971 because I didn't join Kent Meters till 1981, whenGreenbat closed down and I was redundant. He must stillhave been there mid eighties for me to have been a client!(Sorry Mum!). Can't remember him going to Canal Road.Mebbe he had a twin doppelganger!FLOJO, It WAS Homburg's barbers down the stepsoutside the Corn Exchange, Just under the Wallace Arnoldbooking office ,if I remember. There was a gent's toilet down the same steps I think

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

'twas me that got it wrong 'arry, he moved to Town Street from Canal Road.* note to self, Listen properly to your ma*
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I can remember as a kid being taken to "Mad Harry's" (lots of Mad barbers in Leeds weren't there?) at Seacroft Centre, which was tucked away next to one of the ramps to the upper carpark behind the Yorkshire Bank.He was an oldish chap who used to wear a burgundy nylon smock, a proper "old blokes" barbers. He also had a rule that he didn't cut childrens hair on a Saturday as that was when the working men came in for their trims. I can remember being taken there one Saturday and the place being empty, except him sat there reading the paper and smoking a cigarette. My mum asked if he could make an exception, but he refused point blank "I don't do kids on Saturdays"!It later became Hav's (much better) where I went through choice before discovering Franks International...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

OK Chrism!Thank goodness for Mum's memory! Thought I was 'losing it'for a minute! That Jim got around didn't he?Another 'Hairdresser' I went to for a while was on thefirst floor in dear old Lewis's. It was next to the restaurant(or cafe). There were two barbers and the one I had wasa Mr Canale Parola! Obviously of Italian extraction but hehad a Leeds accent! Excellent hairdresser and you could bookyour next appointment on the spot. I think some Londonoutfit moved in with higher prices and Mr CP was due for retirementanyway so jacked it in when that happened.I also used Slater's on Bramley Town St but the shop wasdemolished and I think they moved to Horsforth before retiring.

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

Ruffarse wrote: Anyone remember Character Hairdressing , near St. George's Crypt?The guy that owned it was called Derek"Tamla"Barnett, and that was his real name, well the Barnett bit, anyway. An absolute nutter as I remember, and still organizes an annual reunion for Leeds mods. He later openened up a shop on Queens Arcade balcony in the early 70's. Remember him well - i worked part time there for a while when he was in the queens arcade, complete nutter

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

its quiet on here tonight!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Just returned from holiday so I hope this isn't duplicating someone else, but one of the best in the city centre was Bairstows on the corner of Wellington Street and Aire Street - it was also a busy newsagents. There were a few barbers in there, but I always used to have a little middle aged chap with a pointed face and dark grey hair - he was very quiet and serious and didn't say a lot while he got on with the job. He first introduced me to "singeing the ends" which I was assured would most certainly prevent baldness for ever - I was only a teenager at the time and was beginning to lose mine already so I eagerly accepted his advice. I suppose he meant well, but its a good job the Trades Descriptions Act wasn't around in those days - I could have retired on the damages !! LOL    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.