Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

arry awk wrote: OK Chrism!Thank goodness for Mum's memory! Thought I was 'losing it'for a minute! That Jim got around didn't he?Another 'Hairdresser' I went to for a while was on thefirst floor in dear old Lewis's. It was next to the restaurant(or cafe). There were two barbers and the one I had wasa Mr Canale Parola! Obviously of Italian extraction but hehad a Leeds accent! Excellent hairdresser and you could bookyour next appointment on the spot. I think some Londonoutfit moved in with higher prices and Mr CP was due for retirementanyway so jacked it in when that happened.I also used Slater's on Bramley Town St but the shop wasdemolished and I think they moved to Horsforth before retiring. Alfie Canale Parola who worked at Lewis's had his own shop onBurmantofts Street and went to lewis's when it was demolished.His family lived above us on Nippet Lane.He and his wife moved to live with their son somewhere in the Midlands.His shop is on Leodis.Does anyone remeber a barbers on Boar Lane before it was altered????It was next to the Griffin down some steps,I think the ground floorwas newsagents.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! THAT WERE MAD ALFS WHEN I WAS A KID,THEN MAD MALLYS.....MAD DAVES NOW I THINK...OWS FINGS CHARVER ANY ROAD?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

liits

Post by liits »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before… Downstairs in the gents toilet in the market was an old fashioned style gents barbers. I only ever used the place once [explanation to follow]. The all pervading smell of [edited for content] was more overwhelming than the disastrous hair-cut that was resultant of the visit. I seem to recall that it cost me four quid for the privilege, too![explanation] I stopped having my hair cut when I was about fifteen, just to annoy my Dad. By the time I was nineteen, my hair reached down to my bum.Trekking around “town” one Saturday in the pouring rain, I suddenly became really hacked off with my tresses.I went into a place called Modern Hairdressing in Thornton’s Arcade and had the bloody lot off; “Flat top, please” and the chap who did it looked amazed!My second haircut was in the lavs in the market a few weeks after. Me having decided that I wasn’t going to spend another thirty quid on a hair cut, hence the lesser price and lower quality.Never has a flat-top been so lop-sided.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Dogduke and LiiltsMust apologise for the delay but I answered both your postingstwice yesterday. But, as I tried to post each, there was along pause when the loading ribbon hardly moved,then up came a notice" This page etc.cannot be displayed",so I suppose the serverwas doing work(?) ha!. Anyway,I LOST ALL I had written(Grrrrr!)so attempting here to answer 2 in 1!First Dogduke. Thanks for that interesting update on Mr.Parola.Grand chap by my experiences. They don't make em like thatany more! Liits,I agree that the Market 'dungeon' hairdressersCould Niff a bitat times(!).This was due to the close proximity of the gents' loosbut since they shut those down and boarded them in,it's been amuch better 'atmosphere' down there! Now the loos have beenre-sited further down the market (Pay as you go now!),andthe no smoking laws coming in,I find things much morebreatheable downt'oil! I've always had a good, Owd' fellas' haircutso don't know much about flat tops, crew cuts and Shirley Templestyles! No complaints, and at £3.40 for OAPs,WHO in their rightmind goes anywhere else!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hooray! me posting went! Thought I was gonna have to phoneor send smoke signals!Cheers! arry

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Used to go to Jimmy Loker's in Pudsey on way home from school. But the shop that used to make me grin was in Domestic St. On the right at the top end as you came down from Holbeck Moor. Can't remember the name, but painted on the sign it boasted "New York, Paris, Rome.........Holbeck.Anyone know any more about it?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi UnohooI used to call at this barbers' in the 60's (!) and if Iremember rightly one of the chaps was a paraplegic(if that's the correct word), and he had a specialseat attached to the central pillar of the barbers chair,thus enabling him to swing all round the customerduring the haircut! He was very good I can assure youPerhaps I'm talking too many years back of course!Not thought of that shop until you mentioned itThanks 4 the memory!arry

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Hi 'arry (Or should that be 'I harry. I sometimes get my haspirates mixed hup)Glad you know something about the "international" Holbeck barber. Interesting stuff. Mebbe it's not as far back as you think - I used Domestic Street as a thoroughfare fairly regularly during the later 1980s and early 90s. Can't swear that the shop was always there, but it's funny, once you've clocked something droll, you tend to keep looking for it.U Hoo
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Thanks Uno. No, there's no H in 'Arry! I neverASPIRED to 'igher things!Not my proper name anyroadup! I clicked for the nicknameArry Awk after a camp concert in the RAF and we dida parody on 'Old Uncle Tom Cobbleigh' characters!I was 'tail end charlie' on the horse, of course.(Won't tellyou how I stayed on!). Got a good laff in those daysand NO I can't remember the words we used!!!Not been round Domestic St for years so guess it'sunrecogniseable now (Motor way slip roads etc!).cheersarry

jamesy08

Post by jamesy08 »

the barbers shop in domestic street holbeck leeds is jacks went there on saturday for my haircut got tannning studios upstairs service is tiptop for hair cutting in the 70s there use to call it mad jacks