Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
zip55

Post by zip55 »

If you mean New Station Street rather than New Street, you are right. I used to go to Franks in the early 70's.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

For many years in the 50's/60's I used to use a barbers on the corner of Central Road (back of Wooleys) and Kirkgate. You went up a flight of stairs and into a room with about four chairs. The windows at the end overlooked The Golden Cock public house, a hostelry with a bit of a reputation in its day.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: The name Mr McEvoy stirs the old forgettory Blakey! Thanks for that. Glad I wasn't aware of his digital inaccuracy though, I was a youngster of somewhat nervous disposition - and my dad used to have his hair singed there!     Your Dad was a very brave man indeed jim - legend has it that folk were known to go up in flames if the barber was having a bad day - I hope Mr. McEvoy's lawyer isn't reading this - that mysterious lever at the side of the chair may still be in commission !!I too was also a junior nervous wreck and much preferred Lionel F. Bubb next to Woolworth's.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Romano's in the town was fairly popular..He had the room above the gents toilet in the Corn Exchange,moving later to the yard at the side of Rawcliffes up some stairs andfinally onto Leeds Bridge.I think he has retired now,the shop on Leeds Bridge is some sort of food place.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

zip55 wrote: If you mean New Station Street rather than New Street, you are right. I used to go to Franks in the early 70's. Hi everyone,His name was Frank Leigh, my father had a sewing machine shop in New Station Street for many years, and he knew him quite well.Two of the barbers that worked there were two Italians called Nicky and Carlo who set up their own shop which was much more upmarket.Ian

bigpee

Post by bigpee »

Back in the 80's most of the lads in Farsley were "forced" to go to "Mad Martin's" on Town Street."Just a trim plea..... Too late - Grade two back and sides and random lumps cut out on top and then he always told that it looked smart.Nice fella though, and retired now!

jim

Post by jim »

There appears to have been a high proportion of barbers referred to as "mad". I wonder if it was due to association with the story of Sweeney Todd.........?    

lucid

Post by lucid »

alanlad wrote: I think that Frank's was in New Street before being in Duncan Street. I remember him having a 2litre Triumph Herald, a nice machine in those days of the 60's. He had a guy called Robin working for him and I believe that he, Robin, opened his own shop in Branch Road, Armley and then in Kirkstall Road under the name of, I think, Robinz. There also used to be a gents hairdressers in Mill Hill, off Boar lane I remember a really nice guy working there being heavily into body building but forget his name. There also was gentlemens hairdressers in Austin Reeds. Forgot where they were but remember Horne Bros in Albion Place! iansmithofotley wrote: zip55 wrote: If you mean New Station Street rather than New Street, you are right. I used to go to Franks in the early 70's. Hi everyone,His name was Frank Leigh, my father had a sewing machine shop in New Station Street for many years, and he knew him quite well.Two of the barbers that worked there were two Italians called Nicky and Carlo who set up their own shop which was much more upmarket.Ian I'm just sat here with my dad (frank) now and he's amazed people are still talking about the old shop. Yes the car was a triumph, a Vitesse though, i remember it while growing up. Hi Ian my dad remembers your father but can't remember his name. He still gives me a trim now and again. Carlo now has restaurants all over the world. Here's a link of a film re this made a few years ago, now been shown all over the world. http://www.henry-moore.org/hmi/events/p ... k-and-tour

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

liits wrote: chameleon wrote: liits wrote: I’m not sure if these two count as “Hair Dressers” or barbers but, here goes anyway.On Crossgates Road, on the parade of shops where Hopkins and Woods chippy was Mr. Bramley. Mr. Bramley was Polish so I’m sure that wasn’t his real name. I was taken there to be shorn many times [my old man going to have his three combed over hairs trimmed at the same time]. Being the age that I was, I was always seated on a green painted board while Mr. B wheeled around me on a stool which was affixed to the barber’s chair.After he retired, my Old Man started going to “Morris’s” on the parade by the ASDA. I recall that Morris sold every type of condom, Durex, of course, known to man. He also wore a striped nylon coat to keep the hairs of off his clothes.When he retired, my Old Man had to suffer my mother cutting his hair, such as it was!Meanwhile, I decamped to Gerald Henry’s in the Arndale. Are you sure you have the right one liits? The barber between Hopkins and Mr Berry the butcher was Mr Mawn who I was required to visit at regular intervals. His wife opperated a ladies hairdressers upstairs above the shop. There is a picture of the parade on Leodis somewhere. I'm certain it was Bramley's. I think that Mawns was prior to Mr Bramley having the shop. The ladies hairdressers upstais was owned / run by Susan . After Mr Bramley retirede, and sold up, she took a shop on the parade opposite the Irwin Arms in Halton. She lived on Brian Cresent, just around the corner from my Mam, and only died a few year ago [in her 50's] from cancer.Since posting the above, I have been told that so many barbers were Polish because it was one of the few "trades" taught to those poles who came here to fight with the "Free Poles" and decided not to return home after the war.I also seem to think that Mr Bramley and Mr Berry, the butcher, retired at around the same time, hence the rapid expansion of Hopkins. liits. . I wonder if that Susan is the same one who worked in Pat Sutches on the parade next to Coe's?She used to 'set' my Mums hair,it lasted a week with all the bel air laquer on it.I also remember Malcom Barrys on Austhorpe Road. . . .the owner was a really nice looking chap with fabulous hair.He was not able to walk and got around on crutches,think he lived on the front next to Asda.I remember chatting to him and he told me that he was having some kind of treatment in America to help him walk again.I also used the Cresta hairdressers where Lloyds bank station road is ,Im sure it was upstairs.And I remember my sister (or brothers)going to Carlo and Geoffries ,no idea where this was.I think my brother has a photo of Maurice the barber on Cross Gates Road,when I worked in Asda he used to come in a lot. . always in his overall coat thing.Lastly I remember Mr Berry the butcher! He used to call at many houses with a bit of sausage wrapped in paper. . I can see him now. . he was only a little fella wasnt he?

liits

Post by liits »

I remember Mr Berry’s shop more than I remember Mr Berry. My Mam always used Hargreaves butcher as she reckoned Berry’s was “mucky” [but Mr Hargreaves had the heaviest elbows in Leeds].To sort of return to the subject of barbers... While having my hair cut last week, my barber, George [a Greek Cypriot], asked me again “where you from. Newcastle?” He asks me this every time and I have to tell him Leeds.He then followed this up with his usual “My brother’s got a chip shop in Leeds”. There being more than a few chippies in Leeds I’ve never quizzed him any further and he’s never said anything else on the matter [well, nothing I could display here].Anyway, this time he continued by saying what a good chippy it was and how it had made him lots of money and that his brother had now retired leaving his son to run the business.I then asked him where it was and he replied“Something to do with a horse something or other”“Horsforth?”“Nah, something near a tank factory”“Austhorpe?”“That’s the boy [or words to that effect]! Silly damn name”At that point he started scraping the back of my neck so I thought I’d leave it. Small world if it’s Greasy Joes aka The Crossgates Fish Bar....