Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

Huh! Three pages and no one as mentioned Bruno's on Harehills road, legend round r'end. I grew up using him as did my dad and my dad's dad. I remember as a kid leaving St Augustines school and mi mam would take me and r'kid.I use to be dead jealous r,kid sat in the normal grown up's chair, me, I would sit in the red kids chair that sat on the arm rests of the grown up's chair so you was at a more workable height.Bruno would turn around to mi mam and without him saying a word she would say 'short back and sides' to his knowing look.I would stare open mouthed watching Bruno thrashing his cut throat up and down his leather belt hung in the corner of the shop, next to his sterilizing unit.Oh the memories, thank you Bruno and John.    

Bert

Post by Bert »

As a kid in the early 1950s I was always taken to a barbers in the short parade of shops at the junction of Hollyshaw Lane, Knightsway and Green Lane in Crossgates. Can't remember its name - possibly Duncan's? - but I always thought the guy was a sadist, pulling more hair out by the roots than he managed to cut with his blunt scissors, and telling me to stop whinging when I protested.Not clear whether 'hairdresser' excludes women's hairdo places, but around 1961 - 62 there used to be one near the central bus station on York Street just short of the junction with Duke Street - I think there was a Burtons factory on the corner in those days and this place was opposite it - where my French girl friend Nicole Duport worked illegally - illegally because she was supposed to be in the country only as an au pair. They paid her next to nothing knowing she couldn't make a fuss because of her immigration status, and they raked in the business from Leeds lasses chuffed at the idea of being cut by a French stylist. Actually, little did they know it but I don't think she'd ever had a days training in her life - just made it up as she went along. But they always seemed happy enough when I used to drop in every afternoon on my way home from Leeds Central High School to cadge fags from Nicole and sit around smoking and chatting with them all.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

I'm with Blakey ,using the barbers on St Micheals Lane . Also use to visit Jock's on Cardigan lane on the way home from Brudenell School.Have distant memories of the barber backing onto Burley Village in between the off license and Village St ,opposite the Co-op.The other barbers at the school end of Burley Village has being there for ages too
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

I forget the name of the barbers that was opposite the post office by the market but cira 1986 my stepfather went in there and told them "I want my hair cutting, but i'll only pay £1 because there's not much of it"Strangely they actually did it for him, i can;t imagine that working now.
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

yorkiesknob wrote: I'm with Blakey ,using the barbers on St Micheals Lane . Also use to visit Jock's on Cardigan lane on the way home from Brudenell School. Well well - I used to visit "Jock's" when I lived in Stanmore Hill - he was a nice old chap who did a good job, but I seem to remember that his replacement after he retired wasn't up to much which is why I transferred to Arthur (and his present daughters) where you get the very best attention and a pleasant chat as well.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

BLAKEY wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: I'm with Blakey ,using the barbers on St Micheals Lane . Also use to visit Jock's on Cardigan lane on the way home from Brudenell School. Well well - I used to visit "Jock's" when I lived in Stanmore Hill - he was a nice old chap who did a good job, but I seem to remember that his replacement after he retired wasn't up to much which is why I transferred to Arthur (and his present daughters) where you get the very best attention and a pleasant chat as well. Deja vue
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

jim

Post by jim »

Blakey, as one who like me spent part of his formative years in Ilkley I have a question for you. I have a ( very ) dim and distant recollection of a barbers establishment somewhere ( I think ) to the east of Brook Street, in the area between Leeds Road and the railway station. In my memory it was behind other shops that had Brook Street frontages. It was basic in the extreme, with just a couple of benches against the walls, and had the same atmosphere I came across later in life in backstreet bookie's premises before off-course ready money betting was legalised. Can you remember such an establishment, or is my recollection faulty?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: Blakey, as one who like me spent part of his formative years in Ilkley I have a question for you. I have a ( very ) dim and distant recollection of a barbers establishment somewhere ( I think ) to the east of Brook Street, in the area between Leeds Road and the railway station. Can you remember such an establishment, or is my recollection faulty? I think Jim that you must be referring to a rival barber to Lionel F. Bubb in Brook Street, as you say between The Crescent and Railway Road, not tucked away but in the main row of shops on the east side.This was a very fussy old chap who dithered and hopped around the chair in a most unnerving manner as if he had a couple of irritating corns. Only about one in ten compressions of the scissors landed anywhere near the customer, although I believe there were never any fatalities LOL LOL This chap was Joe E. McEvoy.        There was also another very good chap in Leeds Road, next to the one time Bay Horse pub and opposite the Weston Road corner fish and chippery - the name Slater rings a bell for his shop.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

The name Mr McEvoy stirs the old forgettory Blakey! Thanks for that. Glad I wasn't aware of his digital inaccuracy though, I was a youngster of somewhat nervous disposition - and my dad used to have his hair singed there!    

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

I think that Frank's was in New Street before being in Duncan Street. I remember him having a 2litre Triumph Herald, a nice machine in those days of the 60's. He had a guy called Robin working for him and I believe that he, Robin, opened his own shop in Branch Road, Armley and then in Kirkstall Road under the name of, I think, Robinz. There also used to be a gents hairdressers in Mill Hill, off Boar lane I remember a really nice guy working there being heavily into body building but forget his name. There also was gentlemens hairdressers in Austin Reeds. Forgot where they were but remember Horne Bros in Albion Place!
Don't count the days; make the days count!