Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Wonder if it's the same guy,but when I worked at Kent MetersArmley,we had Jim's Edwardian Tonsorial Emporiumon Armley Town St just down from the Fish shop on the lefthand side. He had all sorts of old stuff on the walls like ARPand Firewatchers'helmets, Stirrup pumps, umbrellas and an oldmotorbike tank (New Imperial?) bowler hats and other paraphernalia.(A bit like the old 'Bowling Green'in Otleybefore it closed), The whole place was none too clean and tidybut fairly cheap compared to the norm! Rickety old chair andan Edwardian (I think) sink! Dozens of old theatre programmesand newspaper cuttings stuck round the walls and on the big mirror.I think Jim was an old 'Thespian' of sorts.Regrettably,the place closed and I think it became 'Malcolm's hairdressers' after a refurb! Much higher prices of course!My favourite barbers' is at the top end of the Fish row in LeedsMarket. Hair cut how you want it and pensioners' rate of £3.40per nut! (Reduced rate if you have a twin brother!). It's down a flight of stone steps underground so hope I can make it at bit longer,climbing back up after a 'Mow'!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! Malcolm used to work for Alf and later bought the business fromhim.Used to listen the the football on the radio in the fifties there.Alf had a couple of little compartments near the mirrors-something like 'Alfs patented steriliser' whre he put combs,clippers and razorsI would be about 10 at the time.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There used to be a hairdressers' shop downstairs near the toilets in City Station, at the same end as the New Theatre, it like the rest of that part of the station was very art deco.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Used to go to Alf Learoyd's on Hall lane Nr, Armley JailRemember Mad Jack's on Armley Town St behind Co-op one eyed gentleman don't know where he came from Though.My Dad used to cut my Uncles hair every Sunday morning (religiously) and then he used to cut mine & my brothers.I used to end up crying and also had a red neck when he used to use Clippers,which must have been blunt.He would squeeze the Clippers and trap the hair then pull it out at the root rather than a clean cut.Used to make me eyes water.
"always expect the unexpected"

magic

Post by magic »

dogduke wrote: Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! Malcolm used to work for Alf and later bought the business fromhim.Used to listen the the football on the radio in the fifties there.Alf had a couple of little compartments near the mirrors-something like 'Alfs patented steriliser' whre he put combs,clippers and razorsI would be about 10 at the time. I remember sitting in the aeroplane. My mum told him to tidy my hair up & he nearly made me bald!!Its still there today.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

The 'eight shops' barber at Gipton if I was really unlucky. Then a few others on Rounday Road, Harehills if I was just unlucky, And then when I could afford my own haircuts, Franks in town.    

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

What's still there,magic? your hair or the plane?LOL!I can remember age 6 sitting on a plank across the barbers'chair arms around 1936(!!!) in Charlie Brown's shopnear to the White Horse pub at the bottom of Armley Rdand corner of Wellington Rd near the Railway bridge and Gas works Also later,when we moved up Oldfield Lane,having my 7yr oldlocks (I was 7 ,not the Locks!) 're-structured' after I had decidedto trim my own fringe (to save dad some money!),this rescuewas in Paley's barbers at the end of one of the Roseneaths.He sold dad a bottle of his home made haircream to help keep thetufty bits flat! It was called 'Tellota' and smelled like a tart's handbag! Made my hair as stiff as a board!

Si

Post by Si »

Is that what stuck yer RAF sidecap to yer 'ead, Arry?!!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

dogduke wrote: Brandy wrote: Mad malcolms harehills lane................nuff said! lolyou used to sit in the aeroplane while malcolmhacked at yer ears,i can still hear him now......WILL YER KEEP STILL YER LITTLE BUGGER! Malcolm used to work for Alf and later bought the business fromhim.Used to listen the the football on the radio in the fifties there.Alf had a couple of little compartments near the mirrors-something like 'Alfs patented steriliser' whre he put combs,clippers and razorsI would be about 10 at the time. you know what? your right mate,ive just asked mi mam about mad Malcolm's and she told me that it was actually Alf who used cut my hair(and rag my head all over for not keeping still)but then Malcolm took over and hence the nickname"Mad Malcolm's""
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

arry awk wrote: Wonder if it's the same guy,but when I worked at Kent MetersArmley,we had Jim's Edwardian Tonsorial Emporiumon Armley Town St just down from the Fish shop on the lefthand side. He had all sorts of old stuff on the walls like ARPand Firewatchers'helmets, Stirrup pumps, umbrellas and an oldmotorbike tank (New Imperial?) bowler hats and other paraphernalia.(A bit like the old 'Bowling Green'in Otleybefore it closed), The whole place was none too clean and tidybut fairly cheap compared to the norm! Rickety old chair andan Edwardian (I think) sink! Dozens of old theatre programmesand newspaper cuttings stuck round the walls and on the big mirror.I think Jim was an old 'Thespian' of sorts.Regrettably,the place closed and I think it became 'Malcolm's hairdressers' after a refurb! Much higher prices of course!My favourite barbers' is at the top end of the Fish row in LeedsMarket. Hair cut how you want it and pensioners' rate of £3.40per nut! (Reduced rate if you have a twin brother!). It's down a flight of stone steps underground so hope I can make it at bit longer,climbing back up after a 'Mow'! I've just asked me ma, and she says Jims ETE was on Town Street prior to moving onto Canal Road (this was around 1971 ish), there was another on Town Street next to the (DIY?) shop at the bottom of Carr Crofts was Don Smiths. Also there were two shops on Crab Lane and one of those was a barbers for some time, it was a pretty trendy place in the 70's as the owner used to play albums on a hi-fi he had in the shop. It was in there I first heard Paul Simons first solo album.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.