Old Hairdressers in Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Anyone ever use Phil Jacksons Barbers on North Street in the 50s ? (His customers were mainly Jewish) very good Hairdresser. Lower down on the other side was Mrs. Black and her Large daughter who cut mens "Barnets" for 1/6 and it was rumoured for 2/- you got "extras". I never had the bottle to go in there and now it is much too late. there did seem to be a string of men leaving this establishment with a satisfied look on their face and an awful haircut.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

With reference to Kathie's post of 10th August 2011, I still get my hair cut by one of the "girls" who worked in Tassies in the late 1960s.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I apologise if this has been mentioned before - but what about Barstow's, corner of Aire Street and Wellington Street. In the point of the junction was the newspaper/tobacco shop and the Gent's hairdresser was next and joined on. It was a good place and very traditional with several chaps working there.     A little middle aged bloke used to do mine more often than not - very quiet and obliging. It was he who assured me that if I had it singed it would survive in top condition for ever - unfortunately it didn't survive very long at all - where oh where was the Trades Descriptions Act ?? Only joking, as it was a good shop and there was no doubt a genuine theory in those days (mid 1950s) that the treatment would indeed work, so no hard feelings !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Keg

Post by Keg »

iansmithofotley wrote: zip55 wrote: If you mean New Station Street rather than New Street, you are right. I used to go to Franks in the early 70's. Hi everyone,His name was Frank Leigh, my father had a sewing machine shop in New Station Street for many years, and he knew him quite well.Two of the barbers that worked there were two Italians called Nicky and Carlo who set up their own shop which was much more upmarket.Ian This brings back memories. I think his son was in my year at school and was called Jon. Must have made money cutting hair as it was Leeds Grammar School....
Keg

Keg

Post by Keg »

grumpybloke wrote: In my youth I went to Frank Coakley's in Horsforth. He was very much a no nonsense traditional barber and quite frightened me when I was 7 or so! In an earlier posting there is a picture of another barber called Coakley from years before.I assume he was Frank's dad / uncle or such. I also remember this one, Dad used to take use there, opposite side to Skykes builders but about level with each other?
Keg

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

That's the one. He's probably long departed by now I suppose.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Did anyone ever go to Danny's hairdressers on Upper Accomodation Rd ?. by the side of the Richmond Pub. I started going to him in the late 60s, he then moved to a corner shop at the bottom on Halton hill on Selby Rd. years later he then moved to a parade of shops on Scott hall Rd. and finally for the last 20 years or so he has been in the Moortown Corner building which has just been virtually demolished for redevelopment. He is now semi retired and just doing a few Mobile jobs for his old regulars who can't get out and about. So I have clocked up nearly 50 years of having my Barnet cut by him and still go to him when I am in Leeds visiting family.

MaggieMid

Re:

Post by MaggieMid »

FLOJO wrote:
Fri 18 Jul, 2008 6:02 pm
Can anyone remember Tassys? He was down a yard in Briggate opposite Boots in the 60s, I remember going there about 68 and having my hair cut like Mary Quant I think at the time he was the only one where all the mods went and you had to book 2 weeks in advance to have him cut your hair.
Yes I used to go there in the mid 60's. He was a brilliant stylist and a friend of Vidal Sassoon. He once gave me a very short Greek goddess style quite unique and took a photo for his salon. I was 18.