Old Restaurants

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
carith

Post by carith »

sorry leeds ladforgot to answer your question. "Which of these have you been in Carith?"Still go into one regularly albeit not a eating house now but:135 Briggate Gap Leeds does this qualify??

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

carith wrote: sorry leeds ladforgot to answer your question. "Which of these have you been in Carith?"Still go into one regularly albeit not a eating house now but:135 Briggate Gap Leeds does this qualify?? reggie only asked for 'old restaurants' so yes Carith i think your input more than qualifies in my humble opinion.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/galle ... 5682Gino's cafe someone might remember where this is.Sorry don't know the owners name though!
"always expect the unexpected"

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/galle ... 5682Gino's cafe someone might remember where this is.Sorry don't know the owners name though! Not Gino then?
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There was Nash's Tudor Fish Restauant on Merrion Street, I only went there once - they used to have Christmas Dinner Dances and I went to one. Can't remember much about it. I've often wondered why Nash's closed. After all it doesn't seem to have re opened as anything else.
Industria Omnia Vincit

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Leeds-lad wrote: Si wrote: I hope it was a steak diane, Tasa! Washed down with a bottle of Mateus Rose!!! In the 60s/70s, our family used to go to Tiberio's on Galloway Lane in Pudsey. It was owned by a bloke called Ivano, and had a huge menu (variety of dishes, not shear size.)A favourite meal would be canneloni followed by Chicken Cordon Bleu (chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and deep-fried in breadcrumbs - coronary on a plate) followed by Neapolitan ice-cream. I couldn't eat that much now.I think Tiberio's is still going. Anyone know for sure?     Hi Si, Tiberios is still open on Galloway Lane,in there about 18 months ago. Lovely meals plenty of it and not bad prices.Remember Costas Steak House well and enjoyed some really good meals in there. Hi Si Tiberios did close for a time a few months ago it has now opened with new owners.Another Restaurant i remember is the Restaurant in the Park in Horsforth park now a chinese restaurant.                            

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Trojan wrote: There was Nash's Tudor Fish Restauant on Merrion Street, I only went there once - they used to have Christmas Dinner Dances and I went to one. Can't remember much about it. I've often wondered why Nash's closed. After all it doesn't seem to have re opened as anything else. I think that "simply fish and chips" is no longer the big force in eating out that it was Trojan, and also Nash's was a bit off the beaten track. There was allso Youngmans in Briggate (opposite Leiwss's side door) at one time - they were the best, on three floors plus take away shop. the they built a new emporium just in Harrison Street but too late - the rot had set in. they then moved to a first floor room above a shop in Briggate, and finally closed.Another wonderful fish and chip cafe was in the lower (narrower) part of Merrion Street for years - the Merrion Fish and Chip Bar, another top value unpretentious little place.Returning to Nash's, it was first taken over by a Castleford firm and introduced really cheap meals and "kid's bargains" etc etc., but closed after a very short time and as you say is now defunct.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Misc

Post by Misc »

There used to be a place opposite the bus stops on Boar Lane (by British Home Stores), I think it was called Demis Fish Bar. Nobody seems to remember it but me...as a kid I thought it was owned by Demis Roussos and used to ask my nan if we could go!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I remember eating fish and chips in Woolworths cafe when I was a kid. I think the cafe was on the top floor of Woolworths, I remember the fish had bones in - because I got one caught in my throat.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Ruffarse wrote: Hullo Si, Havn't forgotten you re Tiberio's, mate. I'm still waiting for my stepson to answer my e-mail. I think he's fallen out with me.Yeah, I appreciate the irony re asking someone living im Malta about a restaurant 10 mile away! You've probably had half a dozen meals there in the time its taken for me to get back to you.Valletta is still good. Hot and full of bloody tourists but good. They've got an M&S on Strait St now with a bar! Every branch should have one.Too hot to go out at moment, 34c, thank God for the computer.Back in Leeds in Oct for some cool and some proper ale! Hi Ruffarse,Thanks for the reply. Sorry this is late, but I've just got back from two weeks in Portugal, and therefore haven't had a meal in Tiberio's yet! It was the same temperature in the Algarve, too. Bloody hot! The local supermercado has a bar, but they only have Super Bok on draught! Not sure if there are plans to licence M&S Owlcoates, yet!Cheers,Si