Long gone dance halls and clubs

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

Does anyone remember the new Marqee Club, which was also known as Mark Altmans dance studio? I saw Pink Floyd there in 68, when Syd Barrett was with them. Wasn' imperessed with the music at the time (I'm a massive fan now), but the light show was pretty good (fuelled by a few extras). Also saw Roger Chapman and Family same year, they were phenomonal. The venue seemed to disappear as quickly as it started.Also the Tech dances, as they used to be known. These were at Leeds Poly, as it was then. Saw Screaming Lord Sutch, Rev Black and his Rocking Vicars (What a name), Dave Dee etc.Any more memories on this thread?
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Plenty of memories of these.The Mecca of course where Jimmy Saville DJd - lunchtime rock and roll sessions in the late 1950s - Sixpence a time (2.5p)For more demure and traditional dancing with really good bands you couldn't beat the two large cinemas which also had lovely dance halls - Majestic City Square and Scala Albion Place, the latter had the finest sprung dance floor in the area.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Samson

Post by Samson »

Majestic City Square I remember going to the Majestic in City Square in 1964 as they had an under 16 club running on a Saturday morning. It was there that I found my first girlfriend of sorts. I remember dancing (well shaking around) to Freddie and the Dreamers etc etcReally embarrassing now!!!!!I also seem to remember that the Mecca, by 1971 (in the arcade) on a Saturday night used to have timed periods of 'old time' dancing and modern. You would be up to dance with a Beatles record and then all of a sudden the 'Old time big band stuff' would start and it was a race to the bar. Eventually you got to know the timings and could get to the bar a record before the 'old time' started.( By the way my Uncle played in the old bands of the Thirties, so I am not slagging off the music at all)
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

SAMSON WROTE :-"Really embarrassing now!!!!!"Join the Club Samson. I'm 72 now and I still cringe and blush when I think of some of the "public exhibitions" that I put on in the 1950s - what a mercy there was no CCTV in those days or I'd probably still be locked up !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

In the 60s I used to go to the Capital Ballroom, after a couple of pints in the 'Melbourne' and the Beckets Arms to give me some Dutch courage for dancing.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: In the 60s I used to go to the Capital Ballroom, after a couple of pints in the 'Melbourne' and the Beckets Arms to give me some Dutch courage for dancing. Not any more I'm afraid Loiner - Meanwood Hotel, Beckets Arms and Capitol all gone.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

BLAKEY wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: In the 60s I used to go to the Capital Ballroom, after a couple of pints in the 'Melbourne' and the Beckets Arms to give me some Dutch courage for dancing. Not any more I'm afraid Loiner - Meanwood Hotel, Beckets Arms and Capitol all gone. I knew the Capital and the Becketts had gone, but not the Melbourne. What a shame! It wont be long before the threads on pubs will be moved to 'Things you dont see anymore' thread.

weenie

Post by weenie »

i remember the Ritzy club in merrion centre and the Hit man and Her dance show was there sometimes. that was itv early hours sunday morning

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Ruffarse wrote: Rev Black and his Rocking Vicars (What a name) Lemmy was in the Rocking Vicars in his pre-Hawkwind/Motorhead days.

EFL

Post by EFL »

Leeds Central Soul Club.That was THE place to be on Saturday night, late 70's early 80's. Thats if you were into Northern Soul of course.From there it was on the motorway to Wigan for the all nighter.No trouble, no drunks, just good mates from all over Yorkshire, then of course mates from all over the north in Wigan.Went to a 25th wedding anniversary at the Irish centre a few weeks ago, it was an old mate from the Central days, Full Northern Soul DJ set and a lot of old faces, great night remembering the old times.KEEP THE FAITH.