Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

"He's got all his chairs at home""There's more than one way to skin a cat""You can't educate pork""You can't polish a turd""There, pick the bones out of that!" after giving someone a ear full!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

another one that puzzles me is- "well il go t' foot of our stairs"?? Or a corker mi mam used to say when you found a hair or some other foreign body in your dinner was "dont tell em all they'l all want one!" lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simonm

Post by simonm »

"you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simong

Post by simong »

Brandy wrote: another one that puzzles me is- "well il go t' foot of our stairs"?? Or a corker mi mam used to say when you found a hair or some other foreign body in your dinner was "dont tell em all they'l all want one!" lol I got all these from my Dad, and I think again, they're all radio or music hall (or possibly both) catchphrases from the 30s and 40s. "I'll go't'foot 'o'our stairs" might come from Rob Wilton, or possibly even Gracie Fields.Two that I grew with, again not being from around these parts were 'Well I go to Trent' as an exclamation of surprise, and 'It's black over Bill's mother's', which means it looks like rain.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

"He's in and out like a lodging house tomcat"."You're like a fly round an 'orses [edited for content]"."He looks like a bookies runner".and a daft ditty we used to re cite in days long ago - "One fine day in the midlle of the night three tom cats went looking for a fight, one had a pistol, one had a gun and one had a pancake stuck to its bum".
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

simonm

Post by simonm »

A fave my dad used to use"up and down like a barmaids knickers"
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

"Up and down like a closet seat"" In and out like a fiddlers elbow""Like a lousy stocking" fidgety"Spread out like a shilling dinner" taking up too much room"Like a fortnight,two week" feeble"like a yard o pump watter"tall and skinny

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

'I'll belt ya into t'middle o' next week'
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Hes as bent has a two bob watch. Someone you cant trust.    

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

"As much use as a bacon slicer in a synagogue"
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!