Jimmy Savile

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

oldleedsman wrote: Does anyone know whereabouts in Leeds was he born/brought up? might be wrong but I seem to remember that he was bornsomewhere around Castleford/Fryston area,so not Leeds.Not picked anything up on the web yet though
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

He certainly went to primary school in Leeds, even if he wasn't born here. He went to St Anne's primary in Woodhouse Square. He called there one day around 1960/61 in his pink cadillac convertible, and just parked outside for a look at the school and a chat to us pupils through the fence railings. RIP Jimmy.Louis Theroux has written a short appreciation of Jimmy at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -23526241/

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

oldleedsman wrote: Does anyone know whereabouts in Leeds was he born/brought up? Hi oldleedsman.There's lots of stuff about Jimmy on Wikipedia, Leodis, and also Secret Leeds, but you need to use the 'search' facilities to find all the links. Here is an old piece about him in the YEP in 2006, which I don't think has been mentioned:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 1_2077222I first got to know him as a racing cyclist at Tommy's Cafe in Otley in the late 1950's and later, in the early 1960's, at the Leeds Mecca when he was the manager. His best friend, Dennis Peace, who lived at Bramhope, died just over a year ago, whilst out cycling at Bolton Abbey. Dennis was assistant manager to Jimmy and then manager at the Leeds Mecca, after Jimmy moved on. Here's another link:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 2255245Ian    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Given the Belfast Airport is George Best and Liverpool John Lennon, I wonder if Leeds/Bradford could be renamed Jimmy Savile?

zip55

Post by zip55 »

As it 'appens, we'll just have to wait & see.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I prefer 'Now then, now then Airport'.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

I really liked Jimmy Savile,he was always on telly during my sixties childhood and I saw him when I was having my tonsils out at Leeds Infirmary as a youngster.I saw him a few years back outside the LGI having a smoke and a joke with the other smokers at the entrance,everyone was laughing and smiling with him.What a great guy raising so much money for charity .I see that he lived at Consort Terrace for 52 years and wonder if there is a blue plaque there? Somehow we must have some memorial or statue to this great man.I pass his Mums grave many times at Killingbeck Cemetary,it is inscribed with The duchess.I hope that he goes in there with her as he seemed to be devoted to her.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

I remember listening to Jimmy on Luxembourg in the early sixties "Teen and Twenty Disc Club" And I also remember his saying at the time (as it 'appens) that he'd visited Elvis in Memphis. TTDC was sponsored by Decca who released Elvis's stuff in the UK so presumably that was how he got the visit.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Sorry I never realised that to have a blue plaque a period of fifty years must have gone by. Crikey I wont be seeing Sir Jimmys then.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Just seen on B.B.C Look North breakfast news the council are talking about having some memorial for him. I too agree with you Kate there should be a statue of him, the cigar planted firmly in mouth. I was really quite surprised to hear the Council talk about it so early. I always think L.C.C do nothing of any merit for this City until public pressure gets going, It was a nice change to hear them take the initiative for once.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!