Quarry hill coffins

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: If you can't find it in the Y.E.P search engine it doesn't mean it's not been covered as a story. I've searched many times for stories from weeks earlier i've read myself & typed in every relevant search word i can think of only to get about 200 not very relevant articles! I find Leodis search engine equally as bad! Quite! However, I have doen a brief search via Google, Yahho and the usual suspects. However, I can find nothing of high status saxon burial in Leeds??? In fact anything to connect Quarry hill with ANY such Saxon burials?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simonm wrote: Not doubting your word, but I really think the YEP have got this wrong. Saxon's were very rarely buried in any other way than feotal positions with a selection of grave goods. Usually knives, cups jewellery etc. If a couple of stone sarcophagus were found then the occupants must have been the most important saxons in the country???? Would love to find out more on this.Edit to add. It may have been a stone lined "coffin"? Some Roman burials (which predate saxon) have been found with a dug grave and the grave lined with stone. These, however were always for very high status occupants. I suppose it's possible for something like that to be discovered? had originaly wanted to cover this for a 30 pointer towards my history degree,but couldn't find anyone who new anything,so did good old tempy instead(again)
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Sorry Si. I wasn't saying there was or wasn't any burial thing! it was only a msg for wiggy saying i know how he feels!!! :-/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I suppose nearby Saxton gardens has got it's name for a very good reason!!! Thing is what?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

No problems Phill. I have just found a referenc on the CBA press cutting service, iehttp://www.britarch.ac.uk/cba/press.htmlHalf way down it makes ref to "Time Team" in 1999 visiting the city and unearthing a Roman cemetary. However, it points to YEP article covering it. Unfortunately when you get to the YEP it refuses to find anything connected to the article???????
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Phill_d wrote: I suppose nearby Saxton gardens has got it's name for a very good reason!!! Thing is what? There were saxon settlements in and around Leeds. Aftrer all, the saxons were the dominant race up to around the 1000AD. We all know of the Roman Settlements nearby.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Just a tip for getting round rubbish search engines *cough*secretleeds *cough*.If you type into Google the site you want to search in the following manner, it will do the search more effectively for you.Example: site: yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk "quarry hill" will bring up articles from the YEP about Quarry Hill.This is the result. http://tinyurl.com/3dfcnkThen if you click on 'more results from yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk it comes up with an article about Ralph Thoresby believing there were Roman remains at Quarry Hill.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Cheers Jancee. Had already done that ,but apart from the Roman connection can still find nought about the Saxon burials. Obviously, if a Roman settlement / camp is there then it stands that burials may also be around. Usually, wherever a decent sized camp / fort etc is there sometimes stood a vicus (civillain settlement) around it. Stands that burials would have taken place close by. However, stone sarcophagus are an extreme rarity and would have been documented so much more than appears to be.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Sarcophagi? Sorry! Yes, I think such a find would have been well documented. Fortasse Wiggy somniat. Ah well, as my old school motto went, Nunquam non paratus, or, my uncle's lost his parrot.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

JanCee wrote: Sarcophagi? Sorry! Yes, I think such a find would have been well documented. Fortasse Wiggy somniat. Ah well, as my old school motto went, Nunquam non paratus, or, my uncle's lost his parrot. nil desperandum,will ask yep direct.it was in there,then there was no follow up story,thats why i put up the thread,incase anyone knew anything.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?