De - Lacey

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
big s

Post by big s »

jim wrote: pashy2 wrote: Black Prince,You must have gone to West Leeds Boys H S.Oastler rules OK! One more vote for De Lacy!The small shunting engines at Kirkstall Forge were named "Henry de Lacy" I, II, and III. II is preserved at the Middleton Railway's Engine House museum. 111 was scrapped in doncaster where did 1 end up?
at least until the world stops going round.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Big S. Info from I.R.S. preliminary draft "Industrial railways and locomotives of West Yorkshire", Smith and Etherington. 2004.There was no "Henry de Lacy I", but there were two "Henri de Lacy"s. ( note different spelling of christian name ) Both were Manning Wardle 0-4-0 saddletanks, nos 285 and 302, of 1870. 302 was returned to the makers the same year and resold to H. Lee, Amsterdam the following year. 285 was eventually sold to John Butler and Co's bridge and crane works, who occupied the works in Stanningley later acquired by George Cohen, Sons and Co, who became the 600 Group. There is no date given for this sale and transfer, nor of the sale or scrapping by Butlers. Six locomotives other than the "de Lacy"s also worked for short periods at Kirkstall Forge, but only HC 861 of 1909 "Kirkstall" appears to have the possibility of spending more than a couple of years at the site.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

pashy2 wrote: Black Prince,You must have gone to West Leeds Boys H S. Got it in one!Oastler Rules Ok! - Maybe, memory fades, but you wouldn't catch me wearing a green rugby shirt!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

STICKS wrote: blackprince wrote: The school I went to had "houses". The one i was in was named after DeLacy . Apart from knowing he was a Norman knight i didn't know anything else about him until I found this some 45 years later!1086: William the Conqueror gave 150 manors, including Leeds, to one of his most loyal supporters, Ilbert de Lacy. For the next 250 years, Ilbert de Lacy and his descendants ruled over some 500 square miles of Yorkshire from Pontefract Castle. Ilbert's grandson, Henry, was responsible for perhaps the single most important event in the growth of Leeds during medieval times. Henry de Lacy had become benefactor to the Cistercian monks at Fountains Abbey, and he had promised them land for the building of a "daughter" abbey to Fountains. But the site, at Barnoldswick, near Skipton, was on high ground and not the riverside location the monks preferred. Henry's second choice was a wooded valley beside the River Aire three miles north west of Leeds village. Kirkstall Abbey was a Cistercian foundation and like Rievaulx and Fountains became the major land owner in its area developing industries like iron forging but more importantly wool making. Kirkstall Abbey abbey owned around five thousand sheep. I would like to say that was very interesting and so are you thank you Black Prince You're welcome Sticks. One of the great things about computers is you can have "useless" snippets of information lying around and retrieve them easily using search. In the old days I might have kept a clipping in a drawer but would never have been able to find it again.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Re: De - Lacey

Post by blackprince »

Years later
Here is a photo of De Lacey Mount

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/104900

Situated just off Morris lane according to the OP.
Did Morris also play a "minor" role in the Norman Conquest?

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I was at Templenewsam Halton Junior School in the early 70s and our houses were called De Lacey, Dunstan, Halifax and Ingram, after various occupants of Temple Newsam House.
(The single word Templenewsam isn’t a typo, that’s how we were told to spell the school name back then.)
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Bruno wrote:
Mon 31 Oct, 2022 10:06 pm
I was at Templenewsam Halton Junior School in the early 70s and our houses were called De Lacey, Dunstan, Halifax and Ingram, after various occupants of Temple Newsam House.
(The single word Templenewsam isn’t a typo, that’s how we were told to spell the school name back then.)
Hi Bruno. That is also how I would type Templenewsam as that is the way I knew it. In similar fashion I would state Crossgates not Cross Gates if I typed it the way I knew.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.