Heather on Adel Moor, Alwoodley, Leeds. Aug 24 2020.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: Heather on Adel Moor, Alwoodley, Leeds. Aug 24 2020.

Post by tilly »

Many thanks for your post buffaloskinner Local history is my thing i once read that a ford had been found near East Street crossing the river Aire.If this was roman then that would account for finds scattered around the Leeds area.There could have been a temporary camp on Quarry Hill this being the highest spot in the surrounding area no sign has been found to support this but i would go with this.Who would have thought that a snotty nosed Hunslet kid would be interested in this.He.He.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

polos

Post by polos »

I remember reading Thoresbys diary and he himself found a roman coin in Leeds ctr.
I believe he wasn't sure if Romans were actually here but did mention that he noticed substantial earthworks on quarry Hill.
I think he called them wall burg or wall flats.
I like to think there were Romans here and the Ford is a prime example of evidence for it.
It would be awesome if someone actually had the tools to locate this ford I doubt every trace has been erased.
I love this stuff too who'dve thought a 37 year old Bramley lad would be so engrossed in all this 😂

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

If you like Roman then you must do Hadrian's Wall, I have now visited every fort and settlement along the wall and walked some of it.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your interesting inputs. :)

As Adel Church is Norman in origin I suspect that any Roman finds there may have been brought in from nearby Roman sites. As to such a site the following link to a report in the Historic England website titled 'Adel Roman fort and settlement' may be of interest. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1473027
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Many thanks for your reply buffalowskinner I once read that a ford had been discovered crossing the river Aire near East Street this was thought to be roman, if so this could account for the few finds around Leeds.If so i think there could have some sort of camp on Quarry Hill that being the highest point in the area, thats just my thoughts of course it would have been obliterated with buildings that have been built there in the past.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.