Kalvin Phillips Interview

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Kalvin Phillips Interview

Post by blackprince »

This is a video of Kalvin Phillips showing Ian Wright around where he grew up and played football in Armley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-spJoinPxeI

Worth watching even if you are not a football fan. It has some good footage of street scenes in Armley and aerial shots of the railway cutting.
He played his football on the "Mushy field" which I recognized as the old West Leeds High School rugby pitches, which I played on with the oval ( never the round) ball in the 1960s. The author Peter Robinson, an old boy of the school, describes playing rugby on this muddy field in one of his Inspector Banks novels. Even in the 1960s there was a problem with effluent from a mushroom factory which used to turn the field into a mud bath resembling the Somme and it seems to have continued unabated for 50 years until Kalvin Phillips time there, but he mentions that the factory has now been replaced by housing.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Re: Kalvin Phillips Interview

Post by jma »

It's some twenty years since the mushroom farm closed and the land was redeveloped. There was a bit of local controversy at the time and I don't remember the details.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks jma. Kalvin points out the "new" housing development on the site of the mushroom farm in the video. Even if the mushroom farm was removed about 20 years ago the problem it caused, with effluent overflowing onto the playing fields, must have lasted for about 35 years. I know that the wheels of local government grind exceedingly slow but this must be some sort of record.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

MarcoAmara

Post by MarcoAmara »

Kalvin Phillips is a baller.Southgate saw something special with the kid.His future is bright.I see a transfer to a top club later in his career.