Forum log in time.

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
TABBYCAT

Forum log in time.

Post by TABBYCAT »

Any chance the post/edit time could be increased from thirty seconds to something more reasonable.
Other forums using this software do this so it should be possible here. By the time you've added an attachment checked for grammar etc you have to endlessly keep logging in and to be honest it's becoming a pain.

And no I have no desire to tick the "Keep me logged in box" just wish to post and move on.

Thanks in advance.

tyke bhoy

Re: Forum log in time.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi Tabbycat.
I'm not clear what you are saying. Are you suggesting you are regularly being logged out during a session? If so I think that is more a local issue with your own device and/or browser. While I do use the "keep me logged in" that is meant to preserve the login between sessions i.e. closing and later reopening the browser. The only danger with that is if someone else uses the same device with the same login. As far as I know there is no session timeout, so once logged in you should remain logged in unless/until you actively select logout or you close either the SL tab in your browser or the browser itself which obviously covers the former.

Is this a Windows device you are using and what browser?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Tykebhoy.

Firstly not a browser-PC or whatever issue at my end, ten years before retirement as a systems builder so reasonably tech savvy.

Just as a quick illustration I spent ten minutes writing this out forgot to copy it ready for paste as I normally have to do and lost the bloody lot as the site had logged me out after 30 seconds!

I am on four different sites that use the same pphpBB software as this one and the log in time, according to those I have spoken to, can be set at source for a single session. This site is logging out after thirty seconds regardless of hard/soft ware location or what ever used so something at that end not mine and would behave the same on those other sites if the problem was mine.

The keep me logged in function from my perspective is fairly dangerous security wise which is just my opinion and I suspect it's being used by people here to prevent having to log in all the time during a single visit if they wish to post after, reading a thread for example, but don't want to or don't know how to bring it up preferring to use the keep me logged in function.

My preferred method is to write, check for grammar then attach any pictures or what ever, sign out then go about my day. The posts I made yester day took at least a dozen log ins.

One particular vintage computing site I visit using the same forum software as here has a single session time of an hour which I feel is more than adequate for someone like myself who doesn't want to keep logged in nor have to keep logging in by the time I'm ready to post and whilst doing something in word pad then a quick copy and paste to beat the timer is one method it doesn't work for pictorial attachments.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I can see no "keep me logged in" available for me and have searched the control panel for it, but have no problems being logged out. This may be me being a bit thick of course

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Its the Remember Me tick box
Attachments
Login Screen.JPG
Login Screen.JPG (20.48 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi chemimike. The "keep me logged in" is a checkbox (tick) under password/username on the login page. It isn't infallible as I still have to login occasionally but far from every 30 seconds or even every visit
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Sadly just the same for me for a single log in without using remember me.

I have to cut and paste this from notepad as I can't type fast enough to beat the log out.
Try logging in without the remember me setting then posting or editing something after a minute or so.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

As I suspected to keep logged in for a single session I have to check the remember me box which believe me isn't the way it should work.
Like all the other forums that use this software merely logging in should keep you logged in until you log out or a set time delay chosen at the site owners discretion has passed, without having to check the remember me box.

But if that's the way way it must be so be it.

jma

Post by jma »

IIRC, this was first mentioned after the change to the current blue layout last year, although I don't know if everybody who posted on this thread was talking about the same problem.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6911

I got round it at the time by checking "Remember me" but I wouldn't claim that was ideal.

I'm not on many forums but several years ago I had something similar on another which was probably caused by my unreliable broadband and I got into the habit of copying every post of more than a couple of words before posting so I didn't lose it. I like to think I'm not superstitious but sometimes I forgot to copy and lost one of my works of literature. I discovered ways I could sometimes recover stuff but I often took it as a sign that I'd have been better keeping my own counsel. If others are having the same experience as TABBYCAT, they may not persist in trying to post.

(My broadband is now loads better.)

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The problem is the time limit set by the forum software when first logged in without using the "remember me" function whose use is more suited to logging in posting then moving on to other sites, but with a view to returning without having to log back in and like I say on other forums using this forums software this single log in without "remember me" is about an hour which is ample to do what ever you have to do log out and move on with your day as well as providing a level of security.

The "remember me" box is being used as a workaround for the fact that if the box isn't checked then whilst composing your post the site logs you out very quickly meaning endless log ins especially if editing or attaching pictures. It has been suggested something is wrong at my end ,trust me it's not.

For the record I have seven PC's of various types three of which are used for internet access and at the risk of boasting and written only to describe my competency level, I can readily describe the internal workings of a PC down to the quantum level, and although not up to speed with more modern programming languages I'm fluent in four dialects of Forth one of which is used daily for solving mathematical problems using quadratic and or polynomial equations, also one dialect of assembler language and can program computers from the 40's-50's in pure binary for fun so tech savvy as they say and understand how these things work.

One is a win 7 machine using Firefox, another is running Chromium (cut down version of chrome) on Linux Ubuntu and the third (this one in use now) is three months old using Chrome on win 10 and I refuse to believe the fault is at this end especially with a fresh out of the box PC with a vanilla installation of Win 10.

No special exceptions set on firewalls no blocking software of any kind etc and the Ubuntu setup has a very basic firewall that also has no exceptions added.

I shan't pursue this any further as I don't think the interest is there to do anything about it and the length of this post is just to ascertain that the "remember me" work around is is indeed working without endless log ins for a long post.

EDIT

Yes "remember me works" allowing re-edit after five or more minutes so will bow to the inevitable and use from now on.

Also when logging out after a long time with the "remember me" box checked the software threw out an error message to the effect of..

" you were not logged out as your request does not match your session please contact the administrator"

Or something to that effect as I wasn't quite quick enough to catch it before it disappeared. However a second attempt to log out worked. Thought it worth a mention.
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Fri 28 May, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.