Private Messages

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
warringtonrhino

Private Messages

Post by warringtonrhino »

I have tried to reply to a private message but could not because
''Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.''
How do I make contact if the original sender has blocked the receipt of private messages?

jma

Re: Private Messages

Post by jma »

I assume that the absence of a reply means there's no technical way round this, which doesn't seem surprising. On that basis, posting on the open forum something like "Joe, I have tried to send you a PM" must be the only solution. (Joe is probably not the real name, I was thinking of the Esso Blee Dooler.)

This has left me wondering whether the intended recipient's account has been disabled by moderator action. To spell it out, at least one member was described as banned in the joke thread, although on the face of it, their username still appears to be live.

A certain amount of thinking out loud here, but I don't like to see a reasonable question going unanswered.

warringtonrhino

I have discovered a reason why people cannot get my messages..
Click on your name on the top ribbon
Select user control panel - Board Preferences - Edit global Settings
Then select YES in ''Allow users to send you private messages ''
I suspect this might have a NO default setting.

jma

Post by jma »

Above all, I'm pleased you have a solution. I've just checked an my settings are to allow receipt of PMs. I cannot remember whether I previously set that or not. I've done very little by PM on here but quite a while ago, I sent a PM in reply to a specific query, noted on the open forum that I had sent it, and it was never shown as having been read.

warringtonrhino

I think it would be good if every member allowed messages.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I think that I have just allowed PMs.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jma wrote:
Wed 02 Sep, 2020 9:20 am
I assume that the absence of a reply means there's no technical way round this, which doesn't seem surprising. On that basis, posting on the open forum something like "Joe, I have tried to send you a PM" must be the only solution. (Joe is probably not the real name, I was thinking of the Esso Blee Dooler.)
If it is any consolation to WarringtonRhino I too have difficulties with PMs. They often stick in my Outbox and won't send.
jma wrote:
Wed 02 Sep, 2020 9:20 am
This has left me wondering whether the intended recipient's account has been disabled by moderator action. To spell it out, at least one member was described as banned in the joke thread, although on the face of it, their username still appears to be live.

A certain amount of thinking out loud here, but I don't like to see a reasonable question going unanswered.
One member was banned. DSco took an unusual method of instigating the ban though. Normal procedure is to just add the name to a banning list and the forum software does the rest. This was a regular occurrrence when we were innundated with spammers. In this case DSco changed the users password and blacklisted the user's email address. The user therefore can't reset the password so even if it appears the user is still active they can't login
warringtonrhino wrote:
Wed 02 Sep, 2020 11:09 am
I think it would be good if every member allowed messages.
In theory yes. In practice it is there to protect users from unsolicited contact which may be less than desirable in nature i.e. abuse in general or of a specific (race/religion/sexual/sexual orientation......) nature. I certainly don't have the power to force WR's intended recipient to accept PMs and I doubt if the more powerful Admins DSCO and MHoulden can either. So a request on the open forum, as suggested by JMA, for the user to turn on receipt of PMs appears the only option
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jma wrote:
Wed 02 Sep, 2020 10:51 am
Above all, I'm pleased you have a solution. I've just checked an my settings are to allow receipt of PMs. I cannot remember whether I previously set that or not. I've done very little by PM on here but quite a while ago, I sent a PM in reply to a specific query, noted on the open forum that I had sent it, and it was never shown as having been read.
In your private message page you have "outbox" and "sent messages" folder and until the recipient reads the message it will remain in the "outbox". when he reads the message it will appear in your "sent messages" folder. A crude way of saying message received and read if you like.

This is how this type of forum software works as standard unless the site owners choose to alter it in any fashion.

jma

Post by jma »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Wed 02 Sep, 2020 12:13 pm

In your private message page you have "outbox" and "sent messages" folder and until the recipient reads the message it will remain in the "outbox". when he reads the message it will appear in your "sent messages" folder. A crude way of saying message received and read if you like.

This is how this type of forum software works as standard unless the site owners choose to alter it in any fashion.
Yes. What I was trying to say was that on what is, after all, not a busy forum, I've sent very few PMs and received even fewer. Memory may be wrong but IIRC, there have only been two addressees, both on the "police officers' numbers" thread. A while ago now, somebody with a sound reason for asking, asked who I was. My PM remained in my outbox for a long time till I decided I might as well delete it. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if I hadn't been trying to help warringtonrhino in my amateurish sort of a way.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

There is also the option for the recipient to be automatically informed by e-mail that a message has been sent which is a useful setting to have switched on and the person you messaged would then be,hopefully,aware of your PM if he/she had this turned on. I find this quite handy and is the usual way I discover if a PM has been sent to me.

I should add as well that if a message has been sent to anyone it will flag up at the top right of the home page if/when they log in and at least they should be aware of its existence whether or not they choose to respond .