Lost hippy/head shops

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
dsco
Site Admin

Re: shop name

Post by dsco »

Nice work folks :)
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

The raven

Re: Lost hippy/head shops

Post by The raven »

I remember Scythrop very well as I bought an Afghan jacket from them round about 1967 I would think. I remember having to comb out the remains of a shipment of cannabis resin, before I could wear it. And boy, did it stink. Believe at this time, the shop was close to a pub called the Cobourg. I was a student of photography at this time, at the nearby Leeds College of Technology, later Leeds Poly, then Leeds Met.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The raven wrote:I remember Scythrop very well as I bought an Afghan jacket from them round about 1967 I would think. I remember having to comb out the remains of a shipment of cannabis resin, before I could wear it. And boy, did it stink. Believe at this time, the shop was close to a pub called the Cobourg. I was a student of photography at this time, at the nearby Leeds College of Technology, later Leeds Poly, then Leeds Met.
It was indeed close to the Cobourg which has changed names several times in the last 10-15 years, including a brief spell back as the Cobourg. I can't recall what is latest incarnation is.

Possibly a slight correction if I am reading you correctly.

Leeds College of Technology (Kitson) was independent of Leeds Poly and is now amalgamated in Leeds City College. Leeds Poly(technic) did indeed become Leeds Met(ropolitan) University and since September has been Leeds Beckett University
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

The raven

Post by The raven »

Correct. Kitson college of Engineering and science was directly opposite Cobourg. Leeds College of Technology was a little way further up Woodhouse Lane. My course, in its final year, came under the Kitson banner. Two students in my year refused to sit their finals, because they believed the Kitson name on their Diplomas, demeaned its value. Leeds College of Tech ceased to exist on this site once the name Polytechnic came into being around 1969. A student common room was then built and Hotsnot disco began. Another story of which I have many fond memories.