New Site Wishlist

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
tyke bhoy

New Site Wishlist

Post by tyke bhoy »

Rather than clutter the new site thread and not wishng to bite the hand........

But I do think its worth having a thread of things we might want adjusting but may or may not be easily achievable for Duncan. They also aren't bugs that need a speedy fix but just long term desirables.

My starter for 10. Could the Hyperlinks to the last unread post and latest post be made slightly bigger/more prominent. This might be a theme issue. For those who haven't spotted them an orange rectangle between the red circle and thread title on the home page/forums page indicates there is an unread, by you, post in that thread and links to the first unread post on that thread. A white rectangle to the right of the last posters name links to that last post whether you have read it or not. The orange link only appears on threads you haven't read and therefore also only if you are logged in
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dsco
Site Admin

Re: New Site Wishlist

Post by dsco »

Hey TykeBhoy, adjustments to the site theme like this will be fiddly and quite time consuming. Having said that it's a useful feature and is rather small and hard to find so I'll see what I can do!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The 'Recent topics' section currently only shows 5 threads per page. If it is possible I think that should be more, as I suspect that random viewers and even perhaps members soon stop clicking on to new pages. I suspect it may be reason why threads that could still be of interest soon seem to stop getting new views or at least very few of them.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Leodian wrote:The 'Recent topics' section currently only shows 5 threads per page. If it is possible I think that should be more, as I suspect that random viewers and even perhaps members soon stop clicking on to new pages. I suspect it may be reason why threads that could still be of interest soon seem to stop getting new views or at least very few of them.
Yep i would hope that was achievable, i hadnt looked but now i see there are numbered previous pages. Page 2 has postings from yesterday which i had missed
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Any thoughts on how many threads should be displayed? I don't want to take up the entire front page of the site with it but I do take your point - and yes it is easily achievable!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Any chance of making hyperlinks open in a new tab instead of opening on the same page as now? :idea:

I think 20-25 recent topics would be sufficient per page. :D
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

buffaloskinner wrote:Any chance of making hyperlinks open in a new tab instead of opening on the same page as now? :idea:
No, that would go against normal web practice - only external links should open in a new tab and the user should generally be notified in advance. If you want to open links in a new tab use the middle mouse button, if you have one. Other options include clicking left and right buttons together (emulates middle button click on Windows/Linux machines) or three finger tap on your laptop touchpad (as previous).

I think 20-25 recent topics is a bit much, that would take up a lot of the homepage. I was thinking 10-15 maybe?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I've set it to 15 for now, let me know your thoughts.

jim

Post by jim »

Thumbs up from me Duncan.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

dsco wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:Any chance of making hyperlinks open in a new tab instead of opening on the same page as now? :idea:
No, that would go against normal web practice - only external links should open in a new tab and the user should generally be notified in advance.
That's the ones I am on about, external links currently open in the current page.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?