SecretLeeds Wiki

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi folks, in an effort to organise some of the content on the new site a bit more effectively, and reduce the amount of chat and discussion people have to wade through if they're coming to a subject afresh or trying to research stuff from our archives, I've set up a 'wiki' for SecretLeeds.A wiki, for those who don't know, is a collaboratively edited database of information - the most famous of which is of course Wikipedia. Here is Wikipedia's entry on wikis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiHere is the SecretLeeds wiki, only in demo form at the moment! We are using exactly the same software as Wikipedia - ours just has a lot less content right now. wiki/I hope this will become a new long-term sister project for SecretLeeds, which will develop over time. Basically I envisage having accompanying wiki articles for significant threads on the discussion forums. So for example, Leeds Lost Pubs could have one, the Skulls, and so on. The wiki page would be condensed versions of the thread, with key facts and figures and an overview of the subject, with a link to the thread for more information and the opportunity to discuss and research it further with site members. So it's meant to complement the forums, rather than replace them.Ultimately I plan to include latitude and longitude values for wiki pages, so the content can be mapped out using modern GPS devices like smartphones and tablets. In theory you'd be able to take a walking tour of the city using a SecretLeeds app (coming soon!) and it would pop up with nearby places of interest as you moved around the city. Would be pretty cool I think?Anyway - to do this I'll need the community to get involved. At the end of the day I'm just the geek who keeps the servers running (well, mostly running at least). You guys are the ones with all the knowledge and passion for the subject.In the first instance I would really like a few volunteers to step forward to offer to create some sample pages on the wiki, to get the ball rolling and set a 'gold standard' for the format of future pages. I don't really know what that is at the moment, so you'll be involved in developing the concept from the ground up. If anyone has the slightest interest in this idea, whether you want to curate one of the initial pages, you have any experience of working on wikis, or are just interested in the idea, please either post your response below or email me via duncan@tyrell.mobi. I'd be very interested to hear everybody's thoughts on the matter - I see this as being a key element of the new revitalised SecretLeeds, but it only works if the community support it and feel it's the right solution for SL. So get involved now and make sure I don't mess it up!     
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

drapesy attempted a definitive thread on the inns of Kirkgate which people kept posting on. It would need little tidying up to serve as a wiki. http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Good shout Geordie, liits has done some work on consolidating the Lost Pubs thread too, though it's so huge I dare not even look at it this week, lest my head explode.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

There is the skulls info thread too, with details from the big thread.