Improving SecretLeeds

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
jim

Post by jim »

Hi Phill. I regard the example you have chosen as slightly double-edged. The topic chosen does, I feel, qualify (just) as acceptable, as the "line" discussed passes within the present day Leeds boundary. As the content duplicates a previous thread and does not (as far as I can see) add anything new, I accept that it should be deleted on that score. A thread that duplicates but adds to a subject however should have its new content added to the earlier thread.Could the Moderators discuss this general topic perhaps and afterwards advise members on their views on receiving requests from members concerning deleting or transferring etc possible transgressing threads/posts?On a similar topic (mentioned by my other half!) perhaps action might also be taken in a like manner on posts with unnecessary and lengthy quotes and re-quotes of earlier posts (often multiple) and pictures etc. It is easy enough to quote just the part of the post that is being addressed.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

jim wrote: perhaps action might also be taken in a like manner on posts with unnecessary and lengthy quotes and re-quotes of earlier posts (often multiple) and pictures etc. Yes that is a very good point Jim, especially the aspect of the photos been re-posted over again. I always try to just add the relevant section I'm replying too. Good point and one that would make the site much better, just the kind of good housekeeping and forum guidelines I mean. If we had a like button, I'd have liked your last post     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder if the name Secret Leeds is no longer appropriate? I'm well aware for example that probably most of what I've ever posted were not about things that could be said to be "secret" or even just very little known.I'm hoping this was the correct thread to post this.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Having rechecked the specified aims of the site on the "About Secret Leeds" link in the bar at the top of these pages I am content to believe that the name Secret Leeds is intended to cover "unknown" "little known" "forgotten" and much more besides. As such it is still fully relevant, and I for one would hate to lose it. It is also publicity wise, eye-catching, exciting, established, and fun! Sorry to disagree Leodian, but those are my feelings on the subject.    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think if the site relied upon 'Secret only' tunnels and the unseen type of subjects it would have run out of steam a long time ago.. I think it works just well as it does, they're is a good mix for all ages.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Jim. There is nothing at all to be sorry about. I was simply wondering about the name. Hi Phill. What you have said is correct and was mainly behind my thoughts about the name.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Just my way of indicating it's a friendly discussion, not an attack Leodian. We're all friends on here.

liits

Post by liits »

I agree about the Next and Back buttons.If we’re to have adverts [and I’m guessing that they are going to be in a floating sidebar – Facebook style, and not leaping about all over the place – like the YEP] could we have a Next & Back button floating in the sidebars – or is that too much hassle?
Attachments
__TFMF_3jrb05ib3vynry45fai3skzy_7d89ebe9-c77a-4a42-9ae4-e90860d3731c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3jrb05ib3vynry45fai3skzy_7d89ebe9-c77a-4a42-9ae4-e90860d3731c_0_main.jpg (335.29 KiB) Viewed 2091 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I too agree that the user rank or status isn't a good idea, it doesn't serve any useful purpose apart from set people apart. That's one of the negative aspects on urbex, or similar forums we don't want to see here.But one thing those forums do excel on is good housekeeping. Everyone knows what topics can be posted, and what topics are not allowed. When people join the site they agree to abide by those few simple rules laid out. Those rules are also laid out in the Help & FAQs section. It does save a heck of a lot of niggles on the forums later. Also duplicate, and dead posts have been allowed to make Secret Leeds a very big and confusing site for people to follow. You can have the same subject covered in detail 2,3,4, 5 times or more. I do think a better emphasis should be placed on housekeeping of the site to improve it. The exploration forums have moderators who have a specific task, each section like underground, industrial, transport e.t.c have a moderator who looks after that section. They keep duplicate threads together, close duplicate threads, and also remove them. On Secret Leeds we keep duplicate threads open. That allows people to add to them later, I think when it is obvious the same subject is covered better elsewhere, these dead posts should be removed. I just fail to see what the benefit is of having three or more threads covering the same subject is going. Surely it's far better, and far more interesting to have it all on one thread? Not only does it make the site easy to use, it also saves on wasted bandwith. It would be nice in my opinion to personalise the different sections on Secret Leeds. Perhaps give each section like 'ghost signs' underground, and lost pubs e.t.c they're own dedicated banners?If not a banner, then perhaps a suitable background picture, or picture added to the page? I think it would improve the look of the site by far.The P.M's will be a great addition, and long overdue on the site, but as Tasa has already said the need to be able to block people messaging you is a must to have with that option too. The facebook type ''likes'' or ''thumbs up'' don't really add anything to the site apart from give it a modern feel. I'm neither for or against them, if we get them then fine, if we don't...who cares I think the site should definitely have the facebook, and twitter ''share this'' option you get on most up to date blogs and social media websites these days.        Apart from the issue of posting pictures, to me the best way to improve the site is the housekeeping aspect.         I'm sure you will remember Phill and, will have noticed that I endeavour to consolidate apparant duplicate threads when found unless there is some very good reason for leaving them, thr only way this can be done however (confirmed with daco) is to copy and paste all messages posted from the new thread to another - often many before the new thread is found, and this does require a degree of tidying up to make the transferred post look presentable before posting.Duuplicate threads do seem to be happening more often than they used to do and not infrequently by longer standing members who should be familiar with making a simple search against key words first - but we are all human and none of us perfect." Everyone knows what topics can be posted, and what topics are not allowed. When people join the site they agree to abide by those few simple rules laid out."Yes indeed a point made often to members but still the number of objectors to such removals is large. Perhaps the most outlandish response I received to my asking how a topic wholly inappropriate to the site was relevant to Leeds was: "It was mentioned on Radio Leeds so it's OK"!!!!Dealing with such posts can be made more awkward when members respond to them in seemingly positive ways rather than rejecting them, non more so than those who respond to threads which sometime appear and clearly seek to use the forum as a for sale and wanted advertising site. Needless to say, all Moderators delete these on sight!"It would be nice in my opinion to personalise the different sections on Secret Leeds. Perhaps give each section like 'ghost signs' underground, and lost pubs e.t.c they're own dedicated banners?"I like this idea - over to duncan. . . .Personal messaging - mixed feelings on this one, there are many other vehicles for this if peoplwish it and the bigest problem could be the attentions of undesirable posters as some know well and possibly opening the door to hefty spammer attacks.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: I agree with your point that some threads need to be combined to keep them in a more orderly and more easily referenced condition Phill, but cannot agree that an increased number of moderators with responsibility for specific subjects is the way to go - with the best will in the world this would result in differing ideas on interpretation of the site's aims and regulation, and a possible increase in the fallings-out. I personally am very happy with the moderation we get, but could see that this might be improved on if members were invited and encouraged to ask mods to combine or edit certain threads or posts when unwieldiness or duplication etc is noticed. Hopefully this concept would improve matters without a "too many cooks" scenario.      JIM -     consider your 'like' button well clicked by me at least