Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Re corn exchange and the market. So long as the newer market area can house all the essential functions of a good market, fish, mean, produce, game, etc then I'm all fro the redevelopment of the older top part. I failt o see how keeping it run downa dn a magnet for chavs to roam around is maintioning any kind of diversity. Surely a nice place to eat lunch and maybe listen to music or watch street theatre is far preferable to sitting amongst smoking 15 year olds with pushchairs and plates of chips. I think some people on here think that those who currently patronsise the market (and I count myself in this) don't deserve anything better.Has anyone noticed that the best shop these days is the Polish Deli?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I love the market and all it presently stands for. Good fresh produce at a price that suits. However, as a catch of the affordability of the place it does attract the, how the hell can I say this without sounding a snobbish ponce, lesser educated and monetarily challenged (did that work) The trouble is the council have done little to "up" the profile of the place for too long and as such it has descended into this chav palace. There are some cracking shops in there, unfortunately there are also the chav related shops, the smoking "bong" emporiums etc that spoil a perfectly great place. The Top half really needs some redevelopment pumping in there to make it more like its European cousins.I only hope that the council don't decide to make it a living apace for the more well healed of society. Keep it as a market and make it a good market, along the lines of borough market in London. Somewhere to get all your daily shopping but some establishments selling more upmarket "stuff".
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

As to the best shops.... Polish deli??? Good, but not the best. Majority of the place works fantastic as a market. It has so much going for it, however, a shed load of wasted potential!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

OK, substitute "best" for busiest and most well stocked. My favourites are the egg shop, the little fish bar (6 fish goujons for £1.30), the barbers down where the loos used to be, Firth & Paynes (used to be in the alley off Kirkgate) & The Continental Shop. I love the whole of Game / Fish row too.Is Woodies DIY still there? The Army surplus shop is pretty good. I think a food hall with communal places to sit and eat (shared by all shops) would be great. Modelled on a good old fashioned department store foodhall. Hire a couple of table wipers and people would move on rather than just lounge around with no food.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

simonm wrote: I love the market and all it presently stands for. Good fresh produce at a price that suits. However, as a catch of the affordability of the place it does attract the, how the hell can I say this without sounding a snobbish ponce, lesser educated and monetarily challenged (did that work) Wow Simon,that was well worded.Any less subtle and "Samsgate" springs to mind.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

simonm

Post by simonm »

I have to really think before typing these days. That whole episode took so much out of me I felt violated as a free speaker!!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

simonm wrote: I have to really think before typing these days. That whole episode took so much out of me I felt violated as a free speaker!! FUN though,wasn't it ducky?I was thrown out of the Polish Deli for askingfor a tin of BRASSO! lol Sodofski!, was the phrase used!Anyone tried the Greek deli , opened where Thurston'sused to be? (They are still open opposite Hayes shellfishstall lower down, Greggs now)

simonm

Post by simonm »

Aye up ArryThat greek place is fantastic. I get my extra virgin Olive oil from them, expensive, but well worth it. I also get the Feta, Olives etc from there. I lve that place!! Trouble with the language at times though...Yup, you guessed it, its all Greek to me!!!!!Ba dum tish....

Si

Post by Si »

Are you just setting Arry up with his puns with your talk of "extra virgins!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

simonm wrote: Aye up ArryThat greek place is fantastic. I get my extra virgin Olive oil from them, expensive, but well worth it. I also get the Feta, Olives etc from there. I lve that place!! Trouble with the language at times though...Yup, you guessed it, its all Greek to me!!!!!Ba dum tish.... Yassu 2u2! Ta Si, will give the extra virgin (2 Of em?) a tryout!ps Email burning a hole in yer monitor at this moment!