Harry Ramsdens sold!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

LS1 wrote: Harry Ramsdens has been rubbish for ages! Went to the one in Edinburgh near the station there a little while ago - dont even want to know how old the fish was and the chips were a lump of someething unmentionable. Went to the original in Guisley and it wasnt much better....The one at Oakwood is great though, as is Murgatroyds and of course Bretts. Is it me or are fish and chips gettign worse generally? All soggy and extra greasy? When you say the one at Oakwood do you mean the one with the classic art decco front?
Industria Omnia Vincit

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yes thats the one!Blakey--you almost make me want to be a senior for a deal like that!!!!

tilly

Post by tilly »

The Mermaid at Morley make some good fish and chips.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

STICKS

Post by STICKS »

Drake,s have a good fish and chip cafe and out sales at Knaresborough can highly recommend.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

I'm surprised at no mention of Coe's in Croggy - consisntently good f&c's. I've tried the Wetherby Whaler (in Wetherby), and while they were tasty, I found them to be a bit greasy.I'm sure someone once told me that greasy fish and chips were the result of the oil (or dripping!) not being hot enough.The main problem I have with chippy's these days is that they all seem to shut at 10pm - that's no good for last orders is it!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Squatch_11 wrote: I'm surprised at no mention of Coe's in Croggy - consisntently good f&c's. I've tried the Wetherby Whaler (in Wetherby), and while they were tasty, I found them to be a bit greasy.I'm sure someone once told me that greasy fish and chips were the result of the oil (or dripping!) not being hot enough.The main problem I have with chippy's these days is that they all seem to shut at 10pm - that's no good for last orders is it! It's in here squatch -http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Seems this could be a continuation of this story so moved here to keep it all together -RiponianUser Location: Home Ripon, Work Armley and the no 36 in betweenJoined on: 08-Jan-2009 15:58:59Posted: 111 posts # Posted on: 29-Nov-2011 18:36:35.    Edit | Quote Spotted this on the BBC website, it will be a bit of a shame to some, but I do consider that it has been a shadow of its former self over the last few years. I like work. I can watch it for hours. Top jdbytheseaUser Location: east yorks coastJoined on: 02-Apr-2011 10:44:50Posted: 75 posts # Posted on: 29-Nov-2011 19:14:44.    Delete | Edit | Quote If it's so it's going to come as a surprise to a lot of people, not least the franchisees who'll see Guiseley as the mothership. Is it known if they are relocating "head office"? Top     

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The Chief Exec was on Radio Leeds this evening (about ten to five if you want to listen again).I must admit he seemed quite dismissive, repeating corporate style blurb about how the Guiseley restaurant was losing money and effectively said it will close and they are looking to open branches in the centres of Leeds, Bradford and Harrogate.I've never actually eaten at the Guiseley restaurant, finding the prices too steep for my liking, but I have partaken of their product elsewhere. In my experience they do by far the worst fish and chips on the South Bay in Scarborough (I couldn't believe they'd been so bad, so tried them again on a second visit which confirmed my worst fears) and the motorway services / shopping centre outlets bear little resemblance to the ethos (or the taste) of a real chippy.They are also far from cheap, especially considering the current quality of the fare served up.It's perhaps telling that they seem to employ lots of teenagers, presumably due to the lower minimum wage they have to pay, but none of them seem particularly bothered about service, the food or the history of the brand. Supervision appears minimal too. Some readers may remember the appalling showing the company got on an episode of "Undercover Boss" a few years ago too. I've got a photo on flickr of the Scabby branch with a sign in the window saying that staff don't have the authority to deal with complaints or offer refunds so if you're unhappy you have to ring a head office number - that alone speaks volumes.The thing for me that sums it up is that this is now a "global brand", so the history counts for nothing - it's all about making money, not about heritage. They seem determined to become another McDonalds or KFC. It will be interesting to see if they pull it off.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Dalehelms wrote: Hi Simong, I really did mean Springfield Fisheries which is on Springfield Road in Guiseley, opposite Bolton's the jeweller, up a wee side street on the opposite side of the A65 from Morrison's. Sorry Dalehelms, but the proprietors of Springfield retired recently and the place was closed for a short while for refitting. It is now owned by Midgley's and is "take away" only, the new arrangement not having tables.     I haven't had the "land and sea" since the change of owners so can't comment.Murgatroyd's Pensioner special is now £8.95 but still worth every penny. The fish in particular is always white and beautifully cooked and the new potatoes, which I have in lieu of chips, are super and with a packet of butter too.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I haven't eaten at the guiseley restaurant for over 20 years. I have sampled some ot their outposts, which usually were not too bad for the south, but nothing up to Yorkshire standards. However I stopped doing this some years ago after trying a so-called Harry Ramsden outlet that had appeared in Reading and, on opening the bag up found they were using unskinned fish. On ringing up to complain I was told they "could not get supplies of skinned fish in that area" I expect they use grade 2 coley now, because they "can't get supplies of good fish any more"