Good Pub Grub

Your favourite days out round Leeds
dervish99

Post by dervish99 »

I can vouch for the Cross Keys down in the Holbeck Urban Village. It's not too posh or yuppyfied and the food is fantastic, old fashioned english food, lots of game and interesting veggie options.
Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: I've heard good things about the carvery at The Wellington on Wetherby Road from a few people but I've not been in there since it was a Tetley's Big Steak Pub - whats that, 10 years plus? Certainly good for a lunchtime, lots of it and good value. Go early to avid the queue and occasional kindergarden family outing.Bracken Fox further out also very good.

railnut

Post by railnut »

The Owl at Rodley has home cooked food [no ping dinners] and 8 real ales. Cracking carvery [home cooked of course] on Sunday afternoonsI am a bit biased tho!

Glenny3363

Post by Glenny3363 »

Good call Railnut,I can vouch for the Owl too, no 'cling & ping' foodI could be biased too, play pool for them, had a lovely pool night chilli last night!!!Have eaten there lunch times too, its good stuff!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

weenie

Post by weenie »

well my me and two friends went to the Travs on HillTop Armley on tuesday for a christmas mum's dinner, the place was a bit empty and there were about 8 people round one table eating the set christmas lunch, as we were about to order our lunch which was only a Baguette the lady behind the bar said it would be about an hour minimum! What for a sandwhich!! we obvoiusly left, but when we asked why she said because of the christmas rush..... think she thought she was somewhere else.other than that they do nice meals usually

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

weenie wrote: well my me and two friends went to the Travs on HillTop Armley on tuesday for a christmas mum's dinner, the place was a bit empty and there were about 8 people round one table eating the set christmas lunch, as we were about to order our lunch which was only a Baguette the lady behind the bar said it would be about an hour minimum! What for a sandwhich!! we obvoiusly left, but when we asked why she said because of the christmas rush..... think she thought she was somewhere else.other than that they do nice meals usually Unbelievable, isn't it?Mrs ravey and I had met up with some friends for a couple of drinks and a bite to eat one lunchtime at a different pub (not in Leeds) and tried to order some food at 1.05pm and were told that the chef was "on her lunch" and they woudn't be taking any food orders until 2pm and then there would be about a 20-30 minute wait.Business must be booming if the chef can take an hour off during the lunchtime period...needless to say we went elsewhere!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

The Abbey Inn does rather nice food.Just don;t go there right after it's snowed, because the taxi driver won;t go past the junction of Pollard Lane and Leeds/Bradford Road and you'll have to walk about a mile down the hill on ice.Don't even mention trying to get out again
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Crazy Jane wrote: The Abbey Inn does rather nice food.Just don;t go there right after it's snowed, because the taxi driver won;t go past the junction of Pollard Lane and Leeds/Bradford Road and you'll have to walk about a mile down the hill on ice.Don't even mention trying to get out again Trapped in the pub? Sounds terrible...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Depends on the company. Works christmas meal gone wonky=not so good.Now if it was The Grove in Holbeck during a beer festival with the right friends, that would be something else
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

The Pack Horse, Geldard Roadlovely home cooked food - freindly staff, decent ale. The portions are huge here!mmmm - off this friday.