Bolton Abbey

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

OK, technically not Leeds, but it's only half an hour away by car if you get a decent run at it and it's a great day out with some wonderful woodland walks.Best of all it's not badly priced with the £6 fee covering parking and admission for up to 7 people in the same car. There aren't many places where can you get a day out for all the family for £6 are there?And if you show your car parking ticket at the Pavillion Cafe you get 10% off!http://www.boltonabbey.com/
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

raveydavey wrote: OK, technically not Leeds, but it's only half an hour away by car if you get a decent run at it and it's a great day out with some wonderful woodland walks.Best of all it's not badly priced with the £6 fee covering parking and admission for up to 7 people in the same car. There aren't many places where can you get a day out for all the family for £6 are there?And if you show your car parking ticket at the Pavillion Cafe you get 10% off!http://www.boltonabbey.com/ In the long hot summer of 1984, we took our kids on a picnic to Bolton 'Abbey, the Wharfe is deep and calm and great for swimming. It was a very hot day and I bought the kids ice lollies. They were space rocket shaped and called "chilly willies" There's also a patch of wild garlic near the Strid.I think you'd be doing well to get there in half an hour from Leeds though - maybe in the middle of the night.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Plus, if it's still open, there's thsi wonderful amenity on the other side of the WharfeBack O' Th' Hill Farm, otherwise known as 'Buffers'Storiths LaneStoriths (Bolton Abbey)BD23 6HU01753 710708An excellent little cafe, complete with the added attraction of a large model railway upstairs & plenty of Hornby, Lima & Fleischmann bits for sale.You will quite possibly find a variety of live-stock in the adjoining stables; Piglets, Lambs, Puppies, Calfs, etc... Plus excellent views from the car-park BEWARE!!!If approaching this from the south-east on the A59 down Beamsley Bank, off Blubberhouses Moor, this road is a fast 3-laner.You are advised to pass Storiths Lane & turn back on yourself at the bottom roundabout, as opposing traffic coming up the hill will use the centre-lane & traffic following you may think you are overtaking when you are actually attempting to turn right.Narrow approach road

julesd

Post by julesd »

When shopping in Asda at the weekend we bought a couple of very cute white plastic ducks, they are for the Great Yorkshire Duck Race taking place at Bolton Abbey on Sunday 9th August 2009. You only pay £2 and proceeds go to various good causes. You register your duck, which you keep, and a plastic duck is raced for you on the day. Sounds like it could be a fun day.Go to www.thegreatyorkshireduckrace.co.uk for details.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Sign to look out for.
Attachments
__TFMF_4oc5ooyna3m3l2no3nmpsyzk_b6ad27a5-ad9f-48eb-9146-04900addda92_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4oc5ooyna3m3l2no3nmpsyzk_b6ad27a5-ad9f-48eb-9146-04900addda92_0_main.jpg (359.79 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Brunel wrote: Sign to look out for. So it is still in business!!Excellent!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Def. had a cuppa and toasted T.C. there yesterday.And viewed the new born calves in the shed.Only thing missing was the well TRAINED dog......!!!
Attachments
__TFMF_yliray450swbjybguo4b1vmi_d748bc91-2a38-46df-83f4-7a27ad2c1f9d_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yliray450swbjybguo4b1vmi_d748bc91-2a38-46df-83f4-7a27ad2c1f9d_0_main.jpg (304.98 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

One of my favourite walks in this area starts at the Cavendish Bridge- turn left and walk up the hill to Waterfall Cottage. Go through the gate and follow the path. Look out for a waterfall on your left and follow the path down and across the bridge. This area is known as The Valley of Desolation and contains 2 magnificent waterfalls. Follow the path which now runs along the left hand side of the stream until open ground is reached in the form of moorland. Continue along this path through heather heading for the high point which is Simon Seat. From Simon Seat you can either reverse the walk or descend into the valley and follow the path back along the Wharfe N.B You can park near the Cavendish Bridge on the Storriths Road for free and avail yourself of the food and toilet facilities at the Cavendish Pavilion
"The Future is not what it used to be"Regards- Kenneth

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE ALL THE POTTERY CAME FROM,IN THE WATER,ABOVE THE BRIDGE.IF YOU PUT YOUR HANDS IN,EVERY TIME YOU PULL OUT LOTS OF IT.I'D LIKE TO THINK ITS FROM THE REFORMATION BUT SOME OF ITS MUCH YOUNGER.NEXT TIME YOU GO..JUST HAVE A LOOK...(BOLTON ABBEY)    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

kenneth wrote: One of my favourite walks in this area starts at the Cavendish Bridge- turn left and walk up the hill to Waterfall Cottage. Go through the gate and follow the path. Look out for a waterfall on your left and follow the path down and across the bridge. This area is known as The Valley of Desolation and contains 2 magnificent waterfalls. Follow the path which now runs along the left hand side of the stream until open ground is reached in the form of moorland. Continue along this path through heather heading for the high point which is Simon Seat. From Simon Seat you can either reverse the walk or descend into the valley and follow the path back along the Wharfe N.B You can park near the Cavendish Bridge on the Storriths Road for free and avail yourself of the food and toilet facilities at the Cavendish Pavilion Hi - I've had this walk recommended to me, but it's on "Open Access" land and dogs are not allowed, which means I'm not likely to get there anytime soon as I'm accompanied by my faithfull hound when out walking.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell