Help - ideas needed!!!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We're taking our niece and nephew (10 and 6, respectively) out for the day on Thursday and need some ideas of what to do.We had planned on taking them to Lightwater Valley, but the weather is meant to be awful, so we're now looking for something indoors, or at least out of the weather that can occupy us all for a large chunk of the day.We've already taken them to the Armouries, The Deep, Tropical World, Magna, the Coal Mining Museum and the National Railway Museum, so we're struggling for ideas.We had thought about the MOSI in Manchester, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of educating family members on t'wrong side of the hill...Thanks in advance
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

simong

Post by simong »

MOSI is great for kids, especially if they have a technical or engineering bent. However, how about the NMM or Bradford Industrial Museum? Salts Mill is more mall than museum but it's a good place to spend an afternoon as well. You didn't mention the City Museum either and that's really kid-friendly. Eureka in Halifax... the end is listless.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

simong wrote: MOSI is great for kids, especially if they have a technical or engineering bent. However, how about the NMM or Bradford Industrial Museum? Salts Mill is more mall than museum but it's a good place to spend an afternoon as well. You didn't mention the City Museum either and that's really kid-friendly. Eureka in Halifax... the end is listless. Cheers - the NMM might be a good idea and the Industrial museum sounds interesting - perhaps we could combine the two?The niece has been to Eureka with school, so that rules that out unfortunately.Thanks
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Hi raveydavey i dont know how far you want to drive Beamish is a great day out the kids would love it If the weather is not too good then local spots to visit are Armley Mills then onto Abbey House Museum. i say the Museum last because there is a nice cafe for a bite to eat.Temple Newsam and Home Farm are worth a visit also Tropical World at Rounday.I am in the same boat as you i have my Grandaughter to look after next week.

slw

Post by slw »

What about Magna at Rotherham http://www.visitmagna.co.uk/content/57/ ... onThackray MuseumEDIT - Sorry need to start reading properly just noticed you have been to Magna - Sorry         

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Eureka's ace for kids that age. My young un used to want to go every other week.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

you not mentioned thackray. there's a kids section where you get to go inside a body and see blood.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We went to the Bradford Industrial Museum, then on to the NMM in the end, so thanks for Simon for suggesting them.I was pleasantly surprised with the Industrial Museum and would definately recommend it. http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/industrialmuseum/