It's Upon Us Soon! Guy Fawkes At Roundhay Park

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Roast tatties mate.. mmmm! Spot on BrandyI think we should organise a Secret leeds Bonfire. Abolish the organised displays and have a traditional one instead.mind that csnosi with the ale tho Bring back the bangers and mash lol.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Roast tatties mate.. mmmm! Spot on BrandyI think we should organise a Secret leeds Bonfire. Abolish the organised displays and have a traditional one instead.mind that csnosi with the ale tho Bring back the bangers and mash lol. and paaaarkin!
Industria Omnia Vincit

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Is it just me or as anyone else noticed the absence of rockets and loud bangers that for the past ten years have been getting let off as early as back end of august early September?? It could just be me but its definitely quieter round our's!Good shout too phill about the S/L bonfire mate,mind you Mr jones will only want to bring his wicker man lol (no offence yer honour)and il probably be sat 100yrds away getting bladdered on mi own lol swearing blind no buggers turned up!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

lol at the Wicker man Yes mate. The fireworks have fizzled out in the run up to Bonfire night. There's not many places sell them anymore is there. I think It's a limited time period too. It's seemed to be a month before in my day!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Is it just me or as anyone else noticed the absence of rockets and loud bangers that for the past ten years have been getting let off as early as back end of august early September?? It could just be me but its definitely quieter round our's!Good shout too phill about the S/L bonfire mate,mind you Mr jones will only want to bring his wicker man lol (no offence yer honour)and il probably be sat 100yrds away getting bladdered on mi own lol swearing blind no buggers turned up! Bad news Brandy, prepare for thy peace to be shattered!Fireworks Regulations 2004-Fireworks can be sold, without a license, during the following periods: November 5 (15 October to 10 November)New Year's Eve (December 26 to 31 December)Chinese New Year (the day of Chinese New Year and 3 days immediately before)Diwali (the day of Diwali and 3 days immediately before).-The sale of fireworks outside this period requires the trader to be licensed. Looks like tomorrow is banger day.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

chameleon wrote: Brandy wrote: Is it just me or as anyone else noticed the absence of rockets and loud bangers that for the past ten years have been getting let off as early as back end of august early September?? It could just be me but its definitely quieter round our's!Good shout too phill about the S/L bonfire mate,mind you Mr jones will only want to bring his wicker man lol (no offence yer honour)and il probably be sat 100yrds away getting bladdered on mi own lol swearing blind no buggers turned up! Bad news Brandy, prepare for thy peace to be shattered!Fireworks Regulations 2004-Fireworks can be sold, without a license, during the following periods: November 5 (15 October to 10 November)New Year's Eve (December 26 to 31 December)Chinese New Year (the day of Chinese New Year and 3 days immediately before)Diwali (the day of Diwali and 3 days immediately before).-The sale of fireworks outside this period requires the trader to be licensed. Looks like tomorrow is banger day. oooooh bugger
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've heard ONE firework so far. It isn't good enough

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Is it Leeds-centric to call them 'bommies'? I've never heard the term up here.    

Si

Post by Si »

I remember a traditional 'bommie' in our back garden c.1968. My dad built the fire on some rough grass at the back of the garage. We were sat around eating toffee apples, or something, when a stone flag, which was hidden in the grass under the fire, exploded. There was burning debris everywhere! Luckily, no one was hurt.Did anyone ever manage to get a catherine wheel to actually spin? Did anyone else build Airfix kits, and put bangers in them? Or make a banger 'mortar' with a piece of copper pipe? Or empty all the gunpowder out of the fireworks and set it alight?I sound like a right pyromaniac!!!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Actually the bonfire night celebrations are just the old Samhain/halloween bonfire traditions that used to happen moved forward a few days to take account of what happened with the Gunpowder plot.They had been banned by Puritanical clerics as remains of Paganism.and Romanish stuff.The Wicker man comment wasn't that far out<LOL>.Mind you Nicholas Cage wants burning for his terrible remake<G>.Since they banned crackers,rip-raps etc the displays have got safer but boring<G>.    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!