Harry Ramsdens sold!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
simonm

Post by simonm »

chameleon wrote: actually curried fish can be quite nice Curreid fish is beautiful. Had lots of curried seafood in Sri Lanka and they really know how to make anything taste fantastic.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

simonm wrote: chameleon wrote: actually curried fish can be quite nice Curreid fish is beautiful. Had lots of curried seafood in Sri Lanka and they really know how to make anything taste fantastic. Agreed - about curried fish in the Far East but somehow it is never the same back here. Good chippys are few and far between nowadays. I occasionally go into the Harry Ramsdens in Manchester and in spite of being served by spotty yooves in red baseball caps, lack of atmosphere etc, what you actually get on the plate or to takeaway is still reasonably tasty ( but not a patch on the original Harry's I remember at Guisley in the 60's & 70's ). I have seen Bobby Charlton eating in there and he looks like a bloke who would know a decent plate of fish 'n chips. The best plate of fish and chips I have had in recent times was in Australia where to my surprise they still have local chippies and know how to cook them to perfection as good as Harry's used to be.    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Hopefully their chip shop curry will taste better than the garbage served up in most fish shopsMy honest opinion is that foreigners should stick to serving their own food and leave Fish & Chips to the English
"always expect the unexpected"

Si

Post by Si »

Leeds-lad wrote: Hopefully their chip shop curry will taste better than the garbage served up in most fish shopsMy honest opinion is that foreigners should stick to serving their own food and leave Fish & Chips to the English Perhaps so, but our local chippie is now run by a couple from Krakow, and is very good. However, I haven't tried their curry sauce...    

Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Isn't this like many "'Articles" in the press these days a blatant piece of advertising served up as (Non) news.*Harry Ramsdens has been part of a massive conglomerate for some years now (what seems more likely is the conglomerate has decided to divest itself of Harry Ramsdens and this businessman is getting some publicity by making out to an obedient press its still got the slightest real connection to the Harry Ramsden's of yore aside from there still being one in Guiseley).I last went with a group of people a couple of years ago and I'd say the Fish and Chips were literally the worst I'd ever tasted anywhere - millimetre of fish in some inedible batter and what looked like the dregs of last night's chips which were full of black bits. Bloody horrible. I agree with the comment someone made that foreigners can't make decent fish and chips like the English with the exception of the Chinese who have a ong history of running fish and chip shops in this country (predating chinese takeways) and usually pretty nice grub.*Like that [edited for content] about the public demanding the return of the Cadburys Whispa - if it had been so popular they wouldn't have stopped making them in the first place. And some pathetic advertising man had the idea of making out they were synoymous with the 80s when it actuality they were sold for far more years in the 90s than the 80s.    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Catweazle wrote: I agree with the comment someone made that foreigners can't make decent fish and chips like the English with the exception of the Chinese who have a ong history of running fish and chip shops in this country (predating chinese takeways) and usually pretty nice grub. I think if you went to Ingle Fisheries on Ingle Avenue in Morley you'd find you were wrong. Plus of course fish and chips in Scotland and North East England tend to be produced by long established Italian families. I love curry, but if I see a fish and chip shop run by Asians I usually give it a miss. Ingle Fisheries has always been our chippy, and an Indian guy bought it three years ago. I went with misgivings but they really are as good as you can get in Morley. And only £3.50 for haddock and chips.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Trojan wrote: Catweazle wrote: I agree with the comment someone made that foreigners can't make decent fish and chips like the English with the exception of the Chinese who have a ong history of running fish and chip shops in this country (predating chinese takeways) and usually pretty nice grub. I think if you went to Ingle Fisheries on Ingle Avenue in Morley you'd find you were wrong. Plus of course fish and chips in Scotland and North East England tend to be produced by long established Italian families. I love curry, but if I see a fish and chip shop run by Asians I usually give it a miss. Ingle Fisheries has always been our chippy, and an Indian guy bought it three years ago. I went with misgivings but they really are as good as you can get in Morley. And only £3.50 for haddock and chips. £3.50 you could get 70 times for that 50 year ago.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

I just realised you could treat the whole Flipping street for that.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leeds-lad wrote: Trojan wrote: Catweazle wrote: I agree with the comment someone made that foreigners can't make decent fish and chips like the English with the exception of the Chinese who have a ong history of running fish and chip shops in this country (predating chinese takeways) and usually pretty nice grub. I think if you went to Ingle Fisheries on Ingle Avenue in Morley you'd find you were wrong. Plus of course fish and chips in Scotland and North East England tend to be produced by long established Italian families. I love curry, but if I see a fish and chip shop run by Asians I usually give it a miss. Ingle Fisheries has always been our chippy, and an Indian guy bought it three years ago. I went with misgivings but they really are as good as you can get in Morley. And only £3.50 for haddock and chips. £3.50 you could get 70 times for that 50 year ago. Yes you're right. 4d. for chips, 8d. for a fish = 1/- or 5p.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bert

Post by Bert »

Absolutely agree with Si about how great HR's used to be and how poor it is now. It used to be like a trip back in time, both for the genuine Yorkshire beef dripping-fried taste and for the atmosphere and quality of service. The last time I went into one at Lakeside, Thurrock in Essex - and that's a few years ago now - the taste, the atmosphere and the service were all already just about as bad as you can get in a chippy.It's a classic example of what happens when an original entrepreneur sells out to people whose only interest is in this year's bottom line and where every Tom, Dick and Harry junior manager in the firm thinks he's got a whiz idea for squeezing another 1% out of it.It sooner or later seems to happen to just about all firms in the UK once they take the fateful step of going public, but not nearly to the same extent in other countries. I wonder why?