Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
Hel66

Re: NELLIES BAR

Post by Hel66 »

Eddy wrote:
Tue 25 Sep, 2012 5:02 pm
Brilliant memories and like any self respecting Leeds lad, been to most night spots mentioned in the 80s and 90s. Early forays involved starting off in NELLIES bar, maybe having a 2 pint stein (or 3) . Anyone remember the DJ used to play "The Wanderer" which went down well. Kept out of the way of the bouncer who had national health glasses and was terrifying when called into action. Buzzing after a few sniffs of poppers, we'd go to ROCKIES or the RICHMOND. Pretty rough places but great when you were a regular.Moved on to the WAREHOUSE by the mid 80s and can still remember that feeling when, after queing for an hour, you managed to get in, if the door men liked the look of you. Happy days.. !
Haha I can't believe Nellie's hasn't been mentioned!! This was my friend Zoe and my fave haunt during the mid '80's...we'd nearly always end the night here then run to the West Yorkshire bus station for the last Shadwell (me) and Boston Spa/Wetherby (her) buses.
We probs started going in there in 1982 when we were sixteen and had just started college. I remember a date in there with a boyfriend who I dumped soon after as he spent nearly all night gazing at himself in the mirrored wall!! :lol: We stopped going shortly after it changed to Big Lil's Saloon Bar with the topless bar staff lol (we went once just to gawp!!).

We also spent a lot ot time at Foxes (Chapel Allerton), Ritzy's (where Cinderella Rockerfella's had been before it), The Chained Bull at Moortown, Tiffany's in the Merrion centre and numerous bars that popped up in the city centre.

My younger brother James (Jammy) used to DJ in Sunset and Vine, Maddisons, Harvey's (with the spiral staircase and big rabbit with the top hat stood outside) and he filled in a few times at Mister Craig's.
Other's I remember going to were:
The Bank
Bugatti's (part of The Gipton pub...now called The Roundhay)...they played MTV on various screens.
The Barcelona, (friend had a birthday party there)
Pig and Whistle (later Fab Cafe...wish they'd bring that back!!)
The Hogs Head
Jumpin' Jacks
Stallones
Top Cat's
Rocky's (Compton Road, Harehills)
Upstairs Downstairs (armley)
The Cambrian (Holbeck) - in the 'ex libris' building by the railway bridge...think I still have a glass from there :shock:

I think I must have been to loads of other pubs doing the Tetely Pub Hunt when I was at college...some real dives!!!...we'd zip in and out as quick as we could LOL...and all for a t-shirt I never wore :roll:

Funny you mentioned the DJ playing The Wanderer as my brother (the DJ) used to say it was his theme tune, but he would have been too young to have DJ'd in Nellies.

volvojack

Re: Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Post by volvojack »

In the 1960s my brother and i went to a club in the guisley /yeadon area called the "Paradise" where Jerry Lee Lewis was playing. i think it was midweek but not sure. He was on Stage doing his act when there was a real noise at the back of this room. Tom Jones had come in and it seems that Jerry Lee and Tom were good friends, the crowd were shouting for T.J. to go on stage but he and his two "Heavies" went into another room Jerry lee carried on but not for long and ignored the calls for more. Jones really spoiled the moment. Don't recall how long it remained open after that or even exactly where it was situated.

buffaloskinner

Re: Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Post by buffaloskinner »

volvojack wrote:
Mon 08 Feb, 2021 12:15 pm
In the 1960s my brother and i went to a club in the guisley /yeadon area called the "Paradise" where Jerry Lee Lewis was playing. i think it was midweek but not sure. He was on Stage doing his act when there was a real noise at the back of this room. Tom Jones had come in and it seems that Jerry Lee and Tom were good friends, the crowd were shouting for T.J. to go on stage but he and his two "Heavies" went into another room Jerry lee carried on but not for long and ignored the calls for more. Jones really spoiled the moment. Don't recall how long it remained open after that or even exactly where it was situated.
During his European tour from 16-22 October 1966 Jerry Lee Lewis played a week at two large clubs in Northern England…the afternoon shows at the Lyceum Rainbow Club in Bradford and the evening shows at the Paradise Club in Guiseley.
Tom Jones introduced Jerry Lee on the opening shows to the audience.
The building was the former Victoria Works and the first floor has been the venue of several nightclubs including the Blue Kitten in the 1950s, later to become the Paradise Club in the late 60s to mid 70s, then Flashman's 1970s-80s

Guiseley Paradise Club was on Bradford Road
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?