Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
volvojack

Re: Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Post by volvojack »

Can't remember what the original name was of the Night Club on Albion Walk when it first opened. I do recall that when the excavation work began behind there years some later the workmen wore face masks and passed the remains of what had been a burial site of cholera or plague over the roof.
Maybe some one can enlighten me

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

Do you mean the 'Three Coins' which was downstairs and opened in the early 1960's? I think that it was later called the 'Lido Review Club'. Above the club premises was one of the first Asian restaurants (not take-away) in Leeds. It was called the 'P &I' (Pakistani and Indian).

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Spot on Ian,
My Pal and workmate Bob Blumberg was on the door and his future wife to be Sandra was the Cashier. I had a few boozy nights in there in the 60's

Emerson

Post by Emerson »

Anyone remember. Scrumpies or Adam and Eve's. On central road. Just off Duncan street near the corn exchange . A heavy rock place. Went there from 1986 to 1991 . Loud,smoky Feet stuck to the floor. What a place. Good times. They would play anything from deep purple to iron maiden to Emerson lake and Palmer to Bon jovi . 30 p to get in.

polos

Post by polos »

volvojack wrote:Can't remember what the original name was of the Night Club on Albion Walk when it first opened. I do recall that when the excavation work began behind there years some later the workmen wore face masks and passed the remains of what had been a burial site of cholera or plague over the roof.
Maybe some one can enlighten me
Looking at old maps in the late 1800s there was a chapel on albion walk with a grave yard in front and behind.

stuartmoss

Post by stuartmoss »

I've just read all 32 pages of this, it's wonderful and has taught me an awful lot about the history of clubs in Leeds.

I'm posting as I'm actually after your help and knowledge with a pretty huge project that I'm working on, called The Leeds Club History Project.

I have set myself the task of attempting to track and record the history of recurring ‘club’ (DJs and dancefloors) events in Leeds, and my starting point is to get as much information as I can into a spreadsheet about event names, venues, dates, promoters, DJs and music policy.

As I’m sure you can imagine it is quite a large undertaking, and I’m already after only a couple of weeks, over 500 rows into Microsoft Excel. I’m relying on the knowledge of those who were there, people like yourselves who either attended / worked / created / DJ’d events in 'club' spaces (pubs, bars, discos, nightclubs, raves, clubs the whole lot).

The spreadsheet of events so far is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing . The spreadsheet isn’t editable (sorry I’m a bit paranoid about losing data), but there is a blank template that you can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5ol4oy1eu917 ... .xlsx?dl=0 and email to me on [email protected] .

Can you help me, by providing information about the events that you have knowledge of? Some events might already be in the spreadsheet (so please check first), but there are a lot of gaps and missing information, some information might also be incorrect, if you can help fill in gaps that would be especially appreciated.

Some links:
The project web page: http://www.leedschp.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/leedsclubs/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeedsCHP

You can submit an individual event here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... A/viewform or multiple events on the linked spreadsheet.

If you can help in any way it would be hugely appreciated. When I have sufficient information and depth to the spreadsheet, I’m going to turn it into a searchable archive / database for anyone’s use, I’m also hoping to be able to create ‘genealogical’ maps of events / venues / promoters / DJs / music genres in the city.

This project is still very much a seedling, but anything that you can contribute is appreciated.

Further down the line I’m hoping to include podcasts, interviews and other multimedia content, but for now I need to build the database by populating the spreadsheet.

Please feel free to forward this to anyone you know who might be able to assist me, and ask them to contact me at [email protected] .

Many thanks and stay safe!

Stuart Moss
@LeedsCHP
@stuartmoss

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

volvojack wrote:
Tue 19 Feb, 2019 3:24 pm
Can't remember what the original name was of the Night Club on Albion Walk when it first opened. I do recall that when the excavation work began behind there years some later the workmen wore face masks and passed the remains of what had been a burial site of cholera or plague over the roof. Maybe some one can enlighten me
It was a Beat Club called the Three Coins and was midway along Albion Walk. When the site was cleared for the West Riding House development a previously unknown burial ground for cholera victims was discovered.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good afternoon B.F.
Was the night club in Albion Walk ever called "The Lido" i do recall the workers passing the remains of bodies over the roofs from
after it had been a burial ground for cholera etc.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I used to go to the Three Coins in the early 1960's and it was a Rythym and Blues Club. At that time, there was a restaurant called the P & I Restaurant (Pakistani and Indian) in Albion Walk and the Three Coins was downstairs, underneath the restaurant. I often went to the restaurant for my lunch, when I worked in an office in Leeds (around 1963/64), as I could use 'Luncheon Vouchers' which I got from a friend who didn't use them. As far as I am aware, the Lido Revue Bar was located where the P & I Restaurant used to be, on the ground and first floors, and was established in about 1968. The correct address for the Lido (in the telephone directory) was Albion Walk Chambers, Albion Walk, Leeds 1, I don't know in what year it closed as I never went there, but it was around 1972.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Ian

Boristhebear

Post by Boristhebear »

This is a long shot. Does anyone remember a “cafe” called Bacchus think it was up near the Merrion Centre. It was also used (at least later on) a season an after club upstairs run by a dodgy guy called Graham. May have been Wade Lane or I could be totally wrong.

Also there was a club down somewhere near (ish) to Hilton hotel. You went downstairs and it was very white inside. Had like a waterfall or water feature down the wall near the stairs. Can’t remember a name for the life of me. Something makes me think it was something relevant to water but... is been around 20 years so may be totally wrong about any of it 😂